Star stitch decreasing

leal

Question

Hi corcheters,

Im working on a baby dress. I currently have 90 stitches. I've been trying to insert in the star stitch to link the top and the bottom of my dress. I start working in my star stitch. Comes the end of my second row, i realize i only have like 60 stitches. 

I don't understand how you can keep your current number of stitches with the star stitch considering in the first row you remove 3 and in the second row you only add 2 in every eye.

Im stuck on this. Can I ask for your help if you understand my problem.

My deepest thanks

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

Star stitch is one I have never used in a project, so maybe another member more familiar with that specific stitch and can jump in with more details.

I am not sure if your pattern has you making the stitch in the same way, but this tutorial explains how you use up a bunch of stitches on the first pass, and then create more stitches in the next pass so you set up the subsequent row, and so on.

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/how-to-crochet-star-stitch-4056336

I think you may not be making the star stitch correctly if you are losing stitches.  From what I am seeing is you use the eye on star just completed, the stitch the last star was worked into and then the next 2 stitches so you are actually only using 2 stitches so on next row when making 2 stitches in eye it keeps you at same stitch count.

https://www.crochet365knittoo.com/crochet-star-stitch/

• Like 1

Welcome to Crochetville,

I agree with bgs, I think she found your problem.  I did this pattern for a baby blanket once and got so frustrated that I gave up and started another entirely different pattern.  It is not a mindless crochet along like we sometimes do.  I also found it to be a tight stitch that was uncomfortable for my old hands.  I had to really focus and count to keep it straight, I remember lots of rip back and rip outs on this one.