Help understanding pattern

Benitahall

Question

9 answers to this question

If the pattern does not define air and cdg and base knit, I can't help as these are not standard terms.  Is there a definition of terms before the pattern starts, or maybe at the end?  It sounds like this may have been written by a non native English speaker, sometimes part of their language sneaks into patterns; example I understand that in some languages knit and crochet are the same word.

My wild guesses -- base knit might be the foundation chain, air might a chain (that floats in the air between stitches), no idea about cdg (what came to mind, because I also knit, was c=center, as that meaning happens in a knit decrease term, but I have no confidence that this is the right guess in this case, or even what it meant with the letters d and g).  Can you tell what they might be by examining the pattern photo in that area?  

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

If the pattern does not define air and cdg and base knit, I can't help as these are not standard terms.  Is there a definition of terms before the pattern starts, or maybe at the end?  It sounds like this may have been written by a non native English speaker, sometimes part of their language sneaks into patterns; example I understand that in some languages knit and crochet are the same word.

My wild guesses -- base knit might be the foundation chain, air might a chain (that floats in the air between stitches), no idea about cdg (what came to mind, because I also knit, was c=center, as that meaning happens in a knit decrease term, but I have no confidence that this is the right guess in this case, or even what it meant with the letters d and g).  Can you tell what they might be by examining the pattern photo in that area?  

Screenshot_2023-04-21-13-53-47.png

I didn't mean for you to share the special stitches section, just meant for you to study it to see if it would answer your question, and it appears not.

I choose not to buy 'pig in a poke' patterns where I'm not familiar with the publisher or the designer (designers that have patterns on yarn sites or magazines).  A free pattern on a blog, if full of bugs or ends up unintelligible, is annoying but I'm only out time not money if it ends up being a dud (I can usually re-purpose yarn in a 'dud project' eventually). 

I'm sorry you are having such a disappointing experience with your pattern, and I'm not sure how experienced a crocheter you are, but I'll reiterate studying the pattern photo; when I was a newbie, before the internet and didn't have anyone handy to ask for help, that helped me a LOT to understand what I needed to do or where I went wrong.  

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

I found the link to the pattern https://amigurumibook.com/cute-rooster-hei-hei-amigurumi-free-pattern/, a little easier to read and search on terms from the original source.

Second cdg from the hook is on there (in the abbreviations section), meaning 'second chain after the hook'

Air seems to only appear after chain, so I think my guess above is right--a chain made between 2 stitches floats in the air, and is not made into a stitch.  

I have another guess on the word 'base', I've only skimmed this but I'm thinking it might apply to the bird's body and have something to do with making chains away from the body, and working back to the body to form the feathers - not 100% confident on that.

This is NOT a beginner pattern, and the non standard terms are a serious roadblock.  I don't consider myself an expert crocheter, but I have a lot of experience, much of it in doilies where really weird things tend to happen shape-wise that you don't encounter in simpler things, and I tend to re-design them a little to suit me. I think I'd be struggling with this pattern too, because the wording isn't traditional; but it might make more sense if I had the yarn in my hand and could see what part of Hei Hei I was working on, and see what needed to happen next--that's what looking at the photo is all about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

I didn't mean for you to share the special stitches section, just meant for you to study it to see if it would answer your question, and it appears not.

I choose not to buy 'pig in a poke' patterns where I'm not familiar with the publisher or the designer (designers that have patterns on yarn sites or magazines).  A free pattern on a blog, if full of bugs or ends up unintelligible, is annoying but I'm only out time not money if it ends up being a dud (I can usually re-purpose yarn in a 'dud project' eventually). 

I'm sorry you are having such a disappointing experience with your pattern, and I'm not sure how experienced a crocheter you are, but I'll reiterate studying the pattern photo; when I was a newbie, before the internet and didn't have anyone handy to ask for help, that helped me a LOT to understand what I needed to do or where I went wrong.  

Ty for your help but I didn't buy it not that crazy yet lol 

I didn't realize it was a free pattern until I looked for it on Ravelry after you posted a photo, I just guessed by the photo it might not be a free one because it really does look like Hei Hei.

Edited by Granny Square