Help with pattern, baby cardigan

Mayathebee

Question

Hi all!

First time poster here and newbie at crocheting.

I am making a baby cardigan for my niece. However, I have gotten stuck on row 3 of the body of the cardigan. I can’t understand how to get the right stitch count. I’ve written the pattern below:

Row 2

Ch1, 2htr, (ch1, sk 1 st, 1htr) to end, turn.

[51 htr, 49 ch-1 sps]

Row 3

Ch1, *1htr in the next st, 2htr in ch-1 sp; rep from * to last 2 sts, 2htr 

[149htr]

Basically my issue is with the 3rd row. I’m reading the pattern as chain 1 and then do 1 htr in the next stitch on the row, do 2 htr in the ch-1 space (i.e into the spaces I made on row 2) and then repeat the same 1-2, 1-2 pattern until the last 2 sts. However, when I do that, I still end up with 100 stiches on the row (and not 149!?).

Does anyone have a clue what I am doing wrong? Any help is very much appreciated! 

/Maya

3 answers to this question

Is your stitch count correct for row 2

[51 htr, 49 ch-1 sps

because in row 3 you work 1 stitch into each of the 51 htr and 2 stitches into each of the 49 ch1 spaces which adds up to 149 stitches made.  It sounds like you made 1 stitch into the ch spaces rather than 2 stitches or stitch count was not correct for row 2.

Edited by bgs

Welcome to the 'ville!  I'm going to assume you got the right stitch count at the end of row 2--51 htr and 49 ch-1 spaces.  This leaves you 100 stitches available to work into for the next row.  

The next row says it should end up with 149, and you are 49 stitches short.  "Ch1, *1htr in the next st, 2htr in ch-1 sp; rep from * to last 2 sts, 2htr [149htr]

If you put 1 htr in each of the 51 htr from row 2, that should be 51 htr, right?

If you put 2 htr in each of the 49 chain spaces from row 2, that's 98 htr, right?  51 + 98 is indeed 149 stitches.

So the pattern seems to be correct.  If you only have 100 stitches you must be putting only 1 htr in each chain space.

edit, Oops, Bgs and I just posted at the same time again.  I think we've all misread a pattern now and then. 

Edited by Granny Square