Stitch markers

Do you use stitch markers when making doilies? A pattern I am looking at suggests using these, and the pattern does look quite intricate. Just hoping someone has experience with them - or without them.  Thanks

Hi Lois,  I have been crocheting doilies/lace work for over 50 years,  I always use stitch markers.  Even when I crochet with yarn I use stitch markers.

I teach crochet and always suggest stitch markers.  I would advise you to use them, with yarn or thread.  It will always keep you on track.

• Like 3

Yep, stitch markers are your friend.  I don't always use them on every doily, but they do come in handy for some projects; what comes to mind are oval doilies, because it's not 'memorize a repeat and repeat the same thing all around', but rather there are (depending on the oval design, something like) an end curve repeat, a transition repeat, a straight-away repeat, a transition repeat, an end curve repeat, a transition repeat and a straight-away repeat.  I find it handy to mark where one repeat ends and the next starts, because within each of those repeats, there are little repeats; and if you don't mark the change points, and you do an extra 'little repeat' in one of those sections, the whole thing goes crooked.

I use bobby pins for markers, they're cheap and if the sofa cushion eats one, it's no big deal, and they mostly stay put.

• Like 3

Me too. They've saved me many times when it comes to ending a round or counting stitches. I like the plastic type since they don't weigh down the project or stretch the stitches like some of those pretty beaded and charm markers can. I've also used pieces of cut yarn when I didn't have any on hand.

• Like 2