Granny squares

MariaG99

Question

Hello everyone! I'm new here😊 I was wondering if someone had any advice on a project I'm currently on. I'm crochetting a cover for a baby boy, and it is made out of 99 granny squares. So far I made 50 and couldn't help but notice that they can have different dimensions even though I followed the same pattern for all of them.

Did this ever happen to anyone? If so, did you struggle when sewing the granny squares together? Any advice would be really appreciated 👍

5 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville! 

A couple of things come to mind--One: is it possible that you are not always grabbing the same sized hook for each square? Two: this could happen if it's multicolored, the squares have different color combos and the yarns used are not 100% identical in thickness; yarn size is a range of wraps per inch, it's not an absolute thing, even within the same brand of the same yarn size.  Three: your stitch tension could vary a little day to day, or between the first square of the day and the tenth.

You might be able to disguise this by not directly sewing them together but rather by picking a method that crochets them together in a lacy decorative way with a bit of space between them; I'll go find some examples and report back.

• Like 1

Here is 1 site with 17 ways to join squares. What I was thinking of above when I said 'a lacy decorative way with space between them' was something on the order of #5 or #8  for simple ones, there are more lacier ones on this site as well.

https://knitterknotter.com/17-ways-to-join-crochet-squares/

• Like 1

Something that has helped me was to cut a cardboard template the size I wanted my squares to be and check each one while making them so I can make adjustments at that time.  It might mean using a smaller or larger hook for the last rounds and or consciously tightening or loosening my tension.  I prefer using a join as you go method.