What does?????

Cranberry506086

Question

10 answers to this question

Context is everything.  Insufficient info given to hazard a guess.  Have seen patterns that do all sorts of things.  Was it used on a stitch diagram?

Edited by bgs

Can you give us more context?  (edit, as Bgs said just as I hit 'post') Like a line of a pattern that appears in, or better, a link if it is on the internet somewhere?

A well written pattern should have a 'special stitches' section somewhere that defines terms beyond the basic stitches.

There are some really....not standardly written self-published patterns on the internet. And some written by non-English speakers that make more sense if you happen to speak the other language or understand their sentence structure or the names of the stitches so there's a chance you can guess what was meant.  

Looking at the pattern photo, are there decorative stitches in the item, perhaps post stitches or lacework stitches, that lean right or left?  This happens in knitting for increases and decreases, but English language patterns have specific stitch abbreviations to do this, not symbols (that I've seen).

Edited by Granny Square

13 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Can you give us more context?  (edit, as Bgs said just as I hit 'post') Like a line of a pattern that appears in, or better, a link if it is on the internet somewhere?

A well written pattern should have a 'special stitches' section somewhere that defines terms beyond the basic stitches.

There are some really....not standardly written self-published patterns on the internet. And some written by non-English speakers that make more sense if you happen to speak the other language or understand their sentence structure or the names of the stitches so there's a chance you can guess what was meant.  

Looking at the pattern photo, are there decorative stitches in the item, perhaps post stitches or lacework stitches, that lean right or left?  This happens in knitting for increases and decreases, but English language patterns have specific stitch abbreviations to do this, not symbols (that I've seen).

Yes, it had a terms and stitch definition section, but the / and \ were not included.

Dragon_egg_dice_bag_US.pdf

14 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Yes, there a dragon scale stitch

Dragon_egg_dice_bag_US.pdf

\   /   are defined under section  Dragon Scales

"....first post of v-stitch ( / ),

ch 1, 5 dc around

second post of v-stitch ( \ ), 

*skip 1 v-stitch, 5 dc around first post of next v-stitch ( / ), ch 1, 5 dc around second post of 
v-stitch ( \ )*, sl stitch in ch 1 space of last v-stitch (8 dragon scales)

Edited by bgs

31 minutes ago, bgs said:

\   /   are defined under section  Dragon Scales

"....first post of v-stitch ( / ),

ch 1, 5 dc around

*skip 1 v-stitch, 5 dc around first post of next v-stitch ( / ), ch 1, 5 dc around second post of 
v-stitch ( \ )*, sl stitch in ch 1 space of last v-stitch (8 dragon scales)

I can't find it. Can you explain what it means?????

Edited by Cranberry506086
??

1 hour ago, Cranberry506086 said:

I can't find it. Can you explain what it means?????

First under section titled Stitches read how to make a V stitch.  It says

V-stitch = dc, ch 1, dc worked in the same stitch

Now read section titled Dragon Scales!   I copied and pasted directly from there.  

first post of v-stitch ( / ),

The V stitch is composed of 2 dc with a ch between them so the first dc you come to when working towards V stitch is the first post of v stitch which from this point on in pattern will be abbreviated as /.   The second dc of said v stitch is the second post of v stitch and will be abbreviated as \.

\/  looks like a V.  Since crocheting row from right to left  you get to this / part of v stitch  first and this part \ second.

Right at the beginning of the pattern your designer defines the stitches, including the V stitch - in your pattern, it is 1 DC, 1 chain, and 1 DC into 1 stitch.

Your stitch sort of looks like this \°/, where the slanted  lines are DCs, and the ° is a chain between them.  Notice the slash marks I used to illustrate - the DCs are pushed apart by the chain, so they slant like that; the author of the pattern is using that same illustration/concept to tell you which DC is \ and which is /.

Your question about the post of a stitch - I'm going to use the keyboard to illustrate a DC as a "T".  The top cross part is the top of the stitch, with the 2 loops that you normally stick your hook under to make a stitch.  The | part is the 'post' of a stitch - this term is not unique to this pattern, there is a family of stitches that are made around the 'post' of a stitch/

And Hi Bgs, you are faster with the reply button than I am again!