How to Fix this Blanket?

Shelby G.

Question

Hello! I was given a baby blanket to fix via crochet by a co-worker. I've been trying to figure it out, but I've gotten as far as determining it's not a pearl stitch and if I completely unravel the stripe, it will unravel the next color as well. I made a document to show the photos of what I'm struggling with (because I couldn't find an insert picture option). I was hoping someone would know the stitch name of this particular blanket and/if they know how to fix it? I'm hoping for at least stitch name. I so still have all of the original yarn, so nothing has torn. It has simply unraveled.

The photos in the document are as followed: How the stitch looks normal (it's been a very loved blanket), spread out a little to see better, and how the blanket has unraveled. Thank you!

Unraveling Crochet Baby Blanket

3 answers to this question

I can answer an easy question that won't help with the blanket; when you are writing a post, there is a spot at the bottom left of the box that says 'drag files here to attach', they need to be in format pdf, jpg, jpeg or png.

"What's this stitch" is not my strong suit, so hopefully someone else will come along with a more accurate answer.  These are groups of US DC stitches, which may or may not be part of the family of  stitches that are related, and can be worked in rows or at an angle - C2C stitch (corner to corner), brick stitch, crazy stitch, and probably other names and variations.  Basically it's just groups of 3 DCs not made in tidy rows, they go every which way. 

The only pearl stitch I'm aware of is an alternately formed SC (which makes turned SC colorwork look better on 1 side), but then crochet stitch naming isn't very precise.

There are a lot of questions here and on other forums about someone's cherished blanket fell apart and how do I fix it--the cause is usually because the maker didn't secure the ends well.  You really need to leave a bare minimum of 6" to weave in, in multiple directions for this weight of yarn.  A lot of times it's obvious they left only an inch or 2.

One solution might be to cut the orange row out carefully, preserving the under-loops on the green side by running a string into the loops  (the pink side looks like tops of stitches I think so should be OK?), and sewing the green and pink sides together--this should be do-able in a fairly invisible way, best if you use a color that matches 1 side or the other.  And telling the owner to not use it, or at least wash it carefully by hand (I know, a real pain with a blanket) and lay it out to dry.  Maybe just keep if for show at the top of the couch or end of the bed.

Good luck!

Edited to add, if you cut and sew the remaining together, mattress stitch is pretty darned invisible.  A lot of demos show doing this by using a glaringly different color to sew 2 sides of crochet together with, and you can't see the odd color when it's done (I'd still try to match, tho....)

Edited by Granny Square

Thank you very much! I've been troubleshooting it and found its a combination of a lot of things. I'll definitely look more into the angle stitches that you have mentioned. I'm pretty certain that I've gotten fairly close, so hopefully I'll be able to fix it soon. Thank you so much for your help!

The first two go thru the process of repair.  Yours is going to be more challenging.  The third might be a similar stitch pattern.  You should be able to figure it out studying the stitches maybe with a little trial and error. 

https://www.ponymctate.com/post/how-to-repair-a-crochet-blanket

http://byrobin.blogspot.com/2015/07/vintage-crochet-granny-square-repair.html?m=1

https://crochetml.com/blogs/blog/photo-tutorial-how-to-crochet-the-drunken-granny-stitch