How to find someone who will sew granny squares together for an afghan

Tom S

Question

I have crocheted all of the squares of an afghan project.  The squares are complete (the ends are sewn in), but the afghan needs to be assembled by sewing the squares together.  I would like to find someone to do that.  How do I go about finding someone?  Thank you.

5 answers to this question

You can do this!  Most sewing stitches you would use are much simpler than the crochet stitches you used.

Next time - join as you go (JAYG).  This can have a few forms (check youtube, this makes more seeing it than trying to describe it), but it is basically:  make 1 square.  As you are making the last round of the second square, chain 1, slip stitch into the 'same spot' in the edge of the first square, chain 1, and resume working the edge of the second square.  Repeat for all the equivalent 'same spots', usually the chain spaces between the groups of 3 stitches.  It is much nicer joining as you go, when you have finished the last square you are DONE with the project and don't have a pile of squares to put together.

I meant to suggest this earlier - the slip stitching together method is not invisible but probably the easiest.  You already have a wrong and right side of each square, and this method will show on the wrong side, but as a raised ridge it could almost be considered decorative not unsightly. 

Do this all in 1 direction first -- example, if your assembly will be 5 squares in a row, and 7 rows - start with slip stitching  the bottom of row 1 to the top of row 2.  Then slst the next row to the bottom of row 2 , and so on.  This will leave the sides of the squares unconnected for the moment--in my example of 5 squares across, that would result in 4 'slits'

The last step is to slip stitch the slits together in the same way you did the rows.

My favorite method of joining is the continues join as you go (CJAYG)  It is similar to join as you go, the difference is that you go ahead and finish all the squares up to a certain point,  then you add the last round to each square as you join them one after another until the very end.  You don’t break the joining yarn until all the squares are joined together and the last round of each square is done.  Please check my Youtube tutorial related to this topic.  https://youtu.be/S8Wkb8shcz8

24 minutes ago, Zoeglover21 said:

My favorite method of joining is the continues join as you go (CJAYG)  It is similar to join as you go, the difference is that you go ahead and finish all the squares up to a certain point,  then you add the last round to each square as you join them one after another until the very end.  You don’t break the joining yarn until all the squares are joined together and the last round of each square is done.  Please check my Youtube tutorial related to this topic.  https://youtu.be/S8Wkb8shcz8

Here is another tutorial on this topic:  https://youtu.be/kKsb_1YTV4I