Help With My Pattern

sneakingsnookie

Question

5th row: Ch 1. 2 sc in first dc (Inc 
made). 1 dc in next dc. *1 sc in next 
dc. 1 dc in next sc. Rep from * to last 
3 sts. 1 sc in next dc. 1 dc in next dc. 
2 sc in last dc (inc made). Turn. Rep 
4th and 5th rows 0 (1-2-4) time(s) 
more, then rep 4th row 0 (1-0-1) 
time more. 39 (49-61-87) sts. Work 
1 (0-1-0) row even in pat.
Leg Openings
Next row: (RS). Pat across 3 (5-7-9) 
sts. Sl st across next 5 (5-5-7) sts. 
Ch 1. Pat across 23 (29-37-55) sts. 
Sl st across next 5 (5-5-7) sts.
Pat to end of row.
Note: All Leg sections are worked 
at the same time using separate 
balls of yarn for each section.
Work 1 (1½-1½-2½)" [2.5 (4-4-6) cm] 
in pat, ending with RS row. 
Joining row: (WS). Pat across 3 (5-
7-9) sts. Ch 5 (5-5-7). Pat across 23 
(29-37-55) sts. Ch 5 (5-5-7). Pat to 
end of row.
Next row: Pat across 3 (5-7-9) sts. 
Pat across next 5 (5-5-7) ch. Pat 
across 23 (29-37-55) sts. Pat across 
next 5 (5-5-7) ch. Pat to end of row. 
39 (49-61-87) sts.

Can someone please explain what I am supposed to do after I have 87 stitches? Thank you!!!

3 answers to this question

Thank you Villager!!  I am actually stuck on the leg openings.  I do not understand Note: All Leg sections are worked 
at the same time using separate 
balls of yarn for each section.

Pattern across?  What pattern should I be using?  Not understanding how there will be leg holes.  :-(

"87 stitches" appears twice, right before it says 'Leg openings" and at the end of the leg openings section.

Sneaking, is there a photo of the end item on the internet that you could link to?  It might help us give a more educated guess of what exactly is happening in your pattern if we can see the end item.

Meanwhile, trying to guess what is going on (but not 100% sure I'm right)

The stitch pattern seems to be alternating up SC and DC stitches; is there a section in your pattern that defines the pattern stitch in case I'm guessing wrong?  A well written pattern will list definitions of the stitches used in a 'special stitches' section.  This has a few names, I learned it as up down stitch but it's also called griddle stitch--one row is alternating SC and dc, then the next row is SC into the DC from the row below, and DC into the SC from the row below.

Working crotch down, you can make legs of a toy (or "people trousers") either 1 leg at a time, or 2 at a time.  Working 2 at a time you would need to work from 2 balls of yarn at the same time; it just means working 1 round of leg #1, then a round of leg #2, back to leg # 1 for the next round and so on  until you have the length you need.  I'm not imagining a reason not to work 1 leg completely, and then the other leg completely, would not work--just be sure that the row count is the same and shaping ends up in the same place on both legs.  Also read ahead and see how it tells you to stuff the item, not sure if this would have anything to do with working 2 at a time but it can't hurt to check, plus reading ahead to understand the construction in general is always a good idea.