Question on snaps/closures

minster

Question

Question for those of you who crochet doll clothes, what type of snaps or closure do you use for the backs of dresses, etc.  For my grand-daughters fifth birthday I am going to get her an Our Generations doll and make her a few sets of clothes/accessories.  I am just unsure of the closure situation...thank you!!

6 answers to this question

My two cents, and I'm not a doll clothes maker - If I were facing the same thing, I'd make chain loops on 1 side of the opening, that fit over/around buttons on the other side of the opening.  That might be easiest for you and the doll owner.  If you are working in large format yarn (example Red Heart Super Saver), consider un-plying a length of yarn and using maybe 2 plies to make the chain loops, and secure the ends well; much thicker would probably be harder to get over the button; or if you use crochet thread (the sort for doilies) and have some handy, even better.  I would choose a button with a shank versus the flat kind with holes drilled thru the button front to back, or if you have the latter sort on hand, create a shank* - sew it loosely with several stitches, then with the thread behind the button but in front of the fabric, wind the sewing thread around the threads between the back of the button and the fabric.  This would be the most suited for the thickness of crochet fabric IMO.

The second option would be to make button holes on 1 side of the opening by just chaining x and skipping x stitches if you are working in US SC - if this is US DC, you could probably find a button that will slip thru 2 DC stitches stretched out a little and not bother with making a button hole.

*in case you don't sew or hang out in the button section of the fabric store, a button with a shank is the kind that is typically solid-looking on the front, and has a short post sticking out of the back, with a hole in the post (shank) that you use to sew it on to the fabric.  Some buttons have a metal loop in the back as a shank.  This type of button is made for thick fabric, like crochet would be, or a heavy lined fabric wool coat for example.

I'm going to say it depends.

I use buttons and for some patterns snaps.  Sometimes the openings just work better for one or the other.  Some patterns will give you directions for where and how to make the button holes in other cases you kind of decide what you like best and go with that.  I tend not to create actual button holes as it can be confusing trying to figure out which stitch is supposed to be the button hole if not clearly designated. 

53 minutes ago, Bailey4 said:

I'm going to say it depends.

I use buttons and for some patterns snaps.  Sometimes the openings just work better for one or the other.  Some patterns will give you directions for where and how to make the button holes in other cases you kind of decide what you like best and go with that.  I tend not to create actual button holes as it can be confusing trying to figure out which stitch is supposed to be the button hole if not clearly designated. 

What type of snaps do you use when you do use them?  I was thinking of the larger metal ones that you can get at the fabric store and sew in but if there is a better option I would love to know...

For snaps, I'd use the sew-in ones, they will be the most secure.  I'm not sure they need to be the larger ones, tho;  for a doll dress I'd choose the smaller or maybe medium sized ones.  A 5 year old should have the dexterity to deal with small snaps; I learned to embroider when I was about a year older than that, with 'grown up' material and tools. 

Also I'm wondering which would be harder to pull apart (goes to closet and finds a card with many sizes of snaps on a card) Crikey!  MUCH more effort to pull the larger ones apart, but the smaller ones were much easier.  I'd go for small or medium.  And sew on with sewing thread (the kind you'd use on a sewing machine) would be the sturdiest.  

I use the sew on snaps you can find at the fabric stores, craft stores, Walmart, etc. They come in a range of sizes and stock up when I can get them on sale so I have them for everyone from the smaller Barbies to the 18" dolls.  They are easy enough to sew on and they are really easy for kids to open and close when they put the clothes on the dolls.

Joann's also has a really affordable line of colored flat buttons I use for the dolls as well.  Not sure what quality they'd be long term if you were using them daily for your own clothing but they wear well for the dolls.

2 hours ago, Granny Square said:

For snaps, I'd use the sew-in ones, they will be the most secure.  I'm not sure they need to be the larger ones, tho;  for a doll dress I'd choose the smaller or maybe medium sized ones.  A 5 year old should have the dexterity to deal with small snaps; I learned to embroider when I was about a year older than that, with 'grown up' material and tools. 

Also I'm wondering which would be harder to pull apart (goes to closet and finds a card with many sizes of snaps on a card) Crikey!  MUCH more effort to pull the larger ones apart, but the smaller ones were much easier.  I'd go for small or medium.  And sew on with sewing thread (the kind you'd use on a sewing machine) would be the sturdiest.  

Thanks, I am going to go raid my sewing room and look to see what I have..