explain "23" please

KMBlack

Question

5 answers to this question

I agree with the assumptions NCcountrygal made and what she said your instruction likely meant (Trb is not a conventional abbreviation of treble, but it's the only stitch I can think of that works with those letters in that order). 

I think a UK designer would be more likely to use the word 'treble' than a US one. (edit, it's more often called 'triple' crochet in the US)

Sometimes you have to play detective to see if a pattern is written in UK or US terms, and one 'clue' is (or can be) the number of turning chains.  Most designers I've encountered don't stray from the convention of:  1 chain for US SC/UK DC, 2 or 3 chains for US HDC/UK HTR, 3 chains for US DC/UK TR, 4 chains for US treble/UK DTR.

Edited because it occurred to me, by the way you worded your question, that "into the ring" is part of what might be unclear.  You are not working into a foundation chain, but rather working center out from a center point, probably an adjustable ring.  All of those stitches after the chain 3 are worked by yarning over, sticking the hook into the ring 'hole', and forming the stitch around the ring.  When you have finished the 23 trebles, you join the stitch you just finished to the 3rd chain of the initial chain 3 (that counts as a treble) to connect the round into a circle.

Edited by Granny Square

It is a UK pattern and trb is defined as treble in the abbreviations stated in the pattern.  I thank you all for your suggestions and I think I may have it figured out.  I will be back if I haven't!  Again, thank you all!

3 hours ago, KMBlack said:

It is a UK pattern and trb is defined as treble in the abbreviations stated in the pattern.  I thank you all for your suggestions and I think I may have it figured out.  I will be back if I haven't!  Again, thank you all!

You are welcome.  Did you see MR (magic ring) mentioned prior to above instructions?  Because it does say, " into ring".