Gauge question

Dolly Elliott

Question

Sorry dumb question but I am a newbie.  Gauge states:  14 sts in sc/dc rows = 4 inches and 10 rows in sc/dc rows = 4 inches

So does this mean, one swatch done all in dc and another swatch done in sc?  Or am I supposed to combine both sc and dc in one swatch, e.g. one row sc, one row dc? I'm adding to my post.  The instructor actually shows 2 swatches to compare but does not state what stitches she used. I'm attaching a photo here.  I assume this is single crochet only maybe? 

But in the whole sweater, she is using all sorts of stitches.  She says the yoke is the most important part to determine the gauge and that pattern is:  Row 1:  dc in each stitch across (on rep rows work in back lps of each st) Row 2:  1 sc crochet in front loop of each st  Row 3: dc in back loop of each st  Row 4: sc in front loop of each stitch.  

So should I use the yoke pattern for a swatch?  I will try to contact my instructor as well if possible.

Untitled.png

Edited by Dolly Elliott
More info added

7 answers to this question

Welcome Dolly.  The pattern should have stitch pattern described.  Generally, sc/dc would describe what you are doing in therow.  sc in one stitch and dc in the next.  The designer should have a pattern stitch section.  I Have seen gauge swatches use stitches not used in the pattern itself.  Usually when gauge isn't extremely important.

• Like 1

^What she said, I have never encountered a pattern where the gauge swatch was not done in the stitch pattern of the item, or at least one of the stitch patterns if there are more than 1. 

I learned the " *sc, dc, repeat from * "  stitch as an 'up and down' stitch, but it is also called a griddle stitch, and probably has other names; it makes a nice texture.  

• Like 1

Thank you...I have looked at the pattern, it is one that I purchased with video included at Annie's Craft Store.  It is a lovely sweater with buttons.  Lena the instructor starts by demonstrating how to do the stitches first on each garment piece.  

There is not listed a pattern stitch section (which I have seen before in crochet book patterns). 

For one part of the yoke, she is crocheting in one row: a bpdc, dc. 

In the body of the garment, maybe that is where I should concentrate on making the swatch and it is stated - Row 1: in back lps dc in each sc  Row 2:  1 sc in front loop of each dc

Then there is a picot stitch and a star stitch in the pattern. 

Actually I just remembered, I may be able to email the instructor at Annie's, I will try to do that now.

Ok. the additional information helps.

Gauge states:  14 sts in sc/dc rows = 4 inches and 10 rows in sc/dc rows = 4 inches

She says the yoke is the most important part to determine the gauge and that pattern is:  Row 1:  dc in each stitch across (on rep rows work in back lps of each st) Row 2:  1 sc crochet in front loop of each st  Row 3: dc in back loop of each st  Row 4: sc in front loop of each stitch.  

That's the pattern stitch for gauge.

Row 1: "dc in each stitch across "  (on repeat rows work in back loops of each stitch this starts on row 3)

Row 2:  1 sc crochet in front loop of each st 

Row 3: dc in back loop of each st 

Row 4: sc in front loop of each stitch.  

Work the above for your gauge swatch. row 1-4.  Repeat 3 and 4. Are the directions clear on making your swatch?

Edited by NCcountrygal
  • Like 1