help with a direction/stitch

CAK

Question

Hi! I'm working on a pattern for earrings that says:

"Rnd 3: Ch 1, *sc into next ch-2 sp, ch 1, [5 dc, 3-picot, 5 dc] in ch-5 sp, ch 1, sc in next ch-2 space, ch 4. Repeat from * three more times, then ch 1, join with a sl st to the beginning ch-1."

I don't understand the [5dc, 3-picot,5dc] piece.

Does it mean: do *3* picots (3 separate stitches connected) in the same space as the 5dc?

Does it mean: do *1* 3picot (so one stitch)?

Does it mean something else completely?

Both ways look weird when done. But that may be because a picot is new to me anyway! Feel free to tell me if there is a trick or a tip for the picot. 😉 Any thoughts?

Thanks so much,

CAK

3 answers to this question

"Rnd 3: Ch 1, *sc into next ch-2 sp, ch 1, [5 dc, 3-picot, 5 dc] in ch-5 sp, ch 1, sc in next ch-2 space, ch 4. Repeat from * three more times, then ch 1, join with a sl st to the beginning ch-1."

I don't understand the [5dc, 3-picot,5dc] piece.

-----------

after the chain 1.  5dc picot is usually a chain 3 sl st into chain 3 then 5 dc in same st (i'm assuming there is a chain 5 space you just worked into. Then sc in next ch 2 space chain 4 and repeat the sequence from * three more times.

Check your pattern for special stitches, too.  picot is usually defined

Moogly shows different ways where you can slip stitch join the picot.

Edited by NCcountrygal
add video

NCcountrygal answered as I was typing so I'll start over.  I'm reading this differently than she is.  Is your pattern, or a pic of what it looks like, on the internet that you can link to it? that would answer the question.

Pasting so I don't have to scroll, your pattern said  "Rnd 3: Ch 1, *sc into next ch-2 sp, ch 1, [5 dc, 3-picot, 5 dc] in ch-5 sp, ch 1, sc in next ch-2 space, ch 4. Repeat from * three more times, then ch 1, join with a sl st to the beginning ch-1."  

And you said, "I don't understand the [5dc, 3-picot,5dc] piece." 

You are working these stitches around a 5 chain space, which is more stitches than chains but that is not uncommon.  Normally you do not work stiches into the chains in a chain space, but rather form the stitches around the chains in that space. You can put a lot more stiches around a chain space than there are chains in it. 

You can put a picot in a chain, but that not what is happening here.  [5 dc, 3-picot, 5 dc] in ch-5 sp] means:  form 5 DCs around the chain, make a 3-chain picot into the fifth DC of that group.  Make 5 more DCs around the chain.  This will make a sort of buttonhole edging with a fleur-de-lis in the middle.

Edited to add a little swatch, this is what is being described, (except after looking at the scan I am short by 1 stitch in the top row (sorry) but hopefully you get the idea).  Foundaton chain, row 1: 2 DCs, chain 5, skip 5 foundation chains, 2 DC in the last 2 foundation chains.  Row 2: turned, made 1DC into each of the first 2 DCs, and 5 DCs (I accidently made 4), three 3-chain picots of chain 3 into the last DC (the 4th of of what should have been 5DCs), then 5 DC over the 5-chain space from row 1, and DC into each of the 2 end DCs.  

scan0003.jpg

Edited by Granny Square