Pattern Help

KaitlinR2435

Question

Hi! So the first row of the pattern says Ch “41, hdc in 2nd ch from the hook and in next 38 ch, hdc 6 in the last stitch, moving to work along that back side of the ch, hdc 39. Ch 1, turn.” 

I am unsure what “hdc 6 in last stitch” looks like. Am I putting 6 hdc in one stitch? I just do it over and over in the same stitch? How do I count those when working through other rows? This is the only time in the pattern I have this instruction. 

Thank you!! 

4 answers to this question

59 minutes ago, KaitlinR2435 said:

Hi! So the first row of the pattern says Ch “41, hdc in 2nd ch from the hook and in next 38 ch, hdc 6 in the last stitch, moving to work along that back side of the ch, hdc 39. Ch 1, turn.” 

I am unsure what “hdc 6 in last stitch” looks like. Am I putting 6 hdc in one stitch? I just do it over and over in the same stitch? How do I count those when working through other rows? This is the only time in the pattern I have this instruction. 

Thank you!! 

Yes you are going to work 6HDC into one stitch. This is adding an increase to the row, and you would just work through the stitches like a normal stitch. You will see after you make them where you would place the stitches on top of that 6HDC.

I hope this made some sense. This is my first time offering help.

• Like 1

You can put many stitches into one stitch.  In this case you are going to be making an oval shape.  You have worked back to your last chain.  Making 6 hdc into that chain is going to bring you around to the other side of your chain where you will now work.

https://www.ehow.com/how_2093630_crochet-basic-oval-shape.html

This is setting you up to work in rounds.

Edited by bgs

Welcome to the 'ville!  There are a lot of compound stitch patterns that have you cram a whole bunch of stitches into 1, a shell stitch for example, and the pattern will usually call it a shell or whatever 'stitch assembly' it belongs to (V stitch, popcorn...lots of examples).  In this case, that is not what is happening and you count each stitch as a stitch, 6 into 1 counts as 6 stitches.  It's an increase.

Your question is about the most common subject in the Help section (so you are not alone wondering what is going on).

You are working in an oval.  Where it says "moving to work along the back side of the ch..." is where it gets weird for most people.  You will be working in the round, but not in a circle which starts at a pinpoint and grows out from there; in an oval the pinpoint is a chain.

A foundation chain has 3 loops.  You can work into a chain 3 ways, 1 is into the back bump (do NOT do this for an oval, it will pull the chain too tight for this.  The other 2 ways, is with the chain side facing you, to use the top loop only (sometimes called the back loop, because working in a row of stitches it is the one farthest away from you) or the top loop + the back bump--I suggest using the top loop to start with.

For an oval, you work 2 passes with the same side of the fabric facing you.  Work across in the top loop only of the chain, in the last chain you put several stitches depending on the stitch type (this turns the corner of the oval), then don't turn it over, but turn it around, same side facing you,  so the loops that you did not use are now facing up, and you use those remaining loops to crochet back to where you started, and probably add some stitches at that end too if it didn't tell you to add stitches at the beginning, to turn the first corner.

Edit, typing too slow again...

Edited by Granny Square

On 12/11/2022 at 11:19 AM, KaitlinR2435 said:

Thank you!! 

Yes,  you do it 6 times in the same stitch!