My waves are curling... argh.

Kim Crochet

Question

Having the darnedest time finding a solution online.

I'm making a waves border and the waves are curling over despite my stretching, pulling and such. I'm making the dc's as loose as I can, making some loops larger, etc and nothing seems to work.

Hoping for some advice before frogging a day's work and trying a different border altogether. Pic attached - on the left is how I want them to look. On the right are how they look without tweaking them. Thanks! 

16703994763664714572805563104413.jpg

2 answers to this question

Actually, the right side is interesting...but yeah, I'd want my edging to lie flat also.

I've made a lot of shell edgings, but never an overlapped one like that.  Anyone who 'knows' me here will be aghast, because I usually dislike the result of this process, but the only thing that popped into my head is to pin it flat and gently steam block it.  The reason I dislike it, is because (assuming this is acrylic, and this looks like Simply Soft to me), it makes the fabric limp and 'crunchy' for lack of a better word. 

Lot's of people like the result, and for a blanket 'limp and crunchy' wouldn't affect it's use.  You don't want to get the iron too close to the fiber, and you need an iron that 'shoots' steam.  I would pin the shells flat, to the position you want them to be; not sure if rust-proof pins are necessary because it is a short process, but if they aren't, don't leave the pins in longer than it takes to cool.  Maybe practice on a swatch first.

• Like 1

I've made this border a few times and haven't come across this problem. Maybe a stitch or two has been overlooked. Just guessing here. I'm not great at explaining in writing but I have included a site that has written instructions and a nice video (scroll down) about the Reverse Shell Stitch border. Maybe the video will be of some help to figure out what the problem is.

• Like 1