Ed’s menagerie fox color changing

Artwithsierra

Question

Hello!

I’ve just started the Edwards Menagerie crochet patterns and am ready for level 3. I’m currently trying Esme the fox. I’m running into the issue of my color changing shifting and not looking at all like the picture. I Know how to color change my yarn but I’m wondering if I’m reading the pattern wrong.

I’ve watched the Toft color changing videos but my pattern still seems to be off. Can anyone help me understand what I might be doing wrong or better explain the process than the book? 
Thank you !!

4 answers to this question

What cute patterns!  Link to Esme pattern photo on Ravelry

I don't have the book and just making sure that our stitch terms are in sync - this book is apparently in UK terms, so is probably is telling you to work in DC, which is US SC.  Altho the recommended way (I've seen) to change color is the same for either, and I don't know how the book tells you to do it.

The way I'm familiar with is to complete the last stitch in the old color before the switch thru just prior to the last yarn over and pull thru, drop the old color and yo and pull thru with the new color to finish the last old color stitch.  This looks a little better than changing color after finishing the old stitch in the old color, but not as clean as changing color in knitting just due to crochet anatomy (their stitch tops don't sit exactly on top of the stitches).  How does the book tell you to change color?  

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

Thank you Granny square!

I apologize for not putting the pattern in my question.

here is a snipit of the beginning color change pattern:

RNDS 10-11 dc18 light, dc24 dark

RND 12 dc1 dark, dc16 light, (dc2,dc2tog) 6 times, dc1 dark (36)

RND 13 dc3 dark, dc13 light, dc20 dark.

*the book says to change color like this:
1. Insert hook through next stitch, YO and pull through.

2. YO with new color and complete double stitch with this new yarn.

thanks again!E388F7D3-509B-4CEC-B157-5327E521D4AA.thumb.jpeg.5a2abffd40271604b3e71f53b2d0afbc.jpeg4F4C7B08-DABE-4F5B-A952-E337DF4A3923.thumb.jpeg.b5dedbd20dec3185ade0cbea63aff47f.jpeg

Check out the project pages at the link Granny Square provided.  Your color changes look just as good and better than most I am seeing there.  If you havent found it yet this website has lots of good tips on crocheting amigurumi.