My "square" turned out as a triangle.

kenzie__

Question

Hey! To start off- I'm just getting into crochet, so I have cheap yarn. 

Im trying to make basic squares so i can make a baby blanket, but i noticed almost half way through that my square was actual turning into a triangle. Any tips on this? Im not quite sure what happened!

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  Can you take a picture and post it here?

So you are making little squares (like Granny Squares , or similar) to be assembled later?  If that is it--at the very beginning of center-out squares, the 'corners' are established in the very first round typically, and it is a little hard to tell 'what is what' until you are a couple of rows in.  It would be easy to accidently make a 3 or even 5 cornered center-out 'square' by mistake this way. 

It that is not it tho, a pic would help.  At the bottom left of a text box when you make a post, there is a spot that says 'drag files here to attach', and you can attach pdf, jpg, jpeg, gif, or png files.

• Like 1

Me again, another possibility if you are making squares back and forth, in turned rows - you may not be dealing with the turning chains properly, this is a common rookie mistake.

Link to the US pattern writing standards (and other good stuff, see the menu on the right side).  This explains how to work in Single Crochet (there's not a bold heading that says Single Crochet, it is in the 'getting started' section), and double crochet, and how to deal with the turning chain.  These are in US terms, if you are in the UK or a place that uses UK terms - there is no Single Crochet in UK terms, US SC is UK DC, US DC is UK Treble, US HDC is UK Half Treble, and so on - all the US stitch names are 'promoted' except slip stitch and chain.  I'm going to continue using US terms here.

Back to the stitches and turned rows:  if you are NOT dealing with the turning chain correctly, you WILL either add or subtract stitches that the designer did not intend, and you will end up either forming a narrowing triangle or a widening parallelogram depending on how you erred.  So your square might be turning into a triangle if you are supposed to use the turning chain as a stitch, and are not, and therefore are losing a stitch each time you turn.

• Like 1