Chain 1, HDC in Same

AMH

Question

Pattern is for a sweater, in the details author indicated chain 1 and HDC in same does not count as stitch. I don’t know where to put the “HDC in same”. I’ve attached the row 2 pattern and a picture of my chain 1. Where do I put the HDC? 

also if the ch 1, HDC doesn’t count does that mean the count of stitches in the row doesn’t include it? If I counted it I’d have 84?

D6C0A939-8944-40BA-865F-306A0CD3A0D3.jpeg

AC9A2ED2-3DEE-4606-8BA1-20FBF8286616.jpeg

2 answers to this question

^ what she said.  HDC is a 'weird' stitch re: its turning chains, some patterns chain 1 and don't count the turning chain as a stitch (treating it like a SC), some chain 2 and count them as 1 stitch.  I have never seen a 'real stitch', like SC, HDC, DC, etc., not count as a stitch in a pattern.

Here is a link for standard pattern writing conventions, it is authored and adhered to by US yarn and craft tool makers and pattern publishers.  The link goes to a page for crochet pattern writing rules, but there is a menu of other handy things on the right side.