Did I mess it up?

WoolyWombat

Question

This blanket is my first project. My working edge has been straight and simple to follow, my side edge has a scallop to it. It was very uniform so I thought it was normal, but now I am ready to put on my border and the instructions say to work single crochets down the (scallop) side. It's so hard to see where to put stitches that I question if I've done something wrong? Is that scallop the result of too many turning chains? If normal, what should I be looking for to make sure the stitches go in the right place? 

It's being gifted in a week so time is of the essence and restarting isn't an option. It'll go borderless if it's beyond saving. :cry

https://freeimage.host/i/PiCkIp
https://freeimage.host/i/PiCOpR

6 answers to this question

This looks 100% normal to me;  I don't see that you re gaining or losing stitches at the edge, which is common for beginners.

If you are concerned that the edges aren't perfectly straight: crochet stitches do not sit directly on top of each other, so working back and forth in turned rows, one direction zigs a little, the other direction zags a little.  

And, working a border along the side of stitches is supposed to be a pain in the neck - sort of kidding, but there aren't pretty stitch tops in the side to work into--you didn't do anything wrong.  My scheme is to pick 2 'threads' to work into at the side of each row for SC, and be consistent working in the same 2 threads; for DC, I usually work  2 sts into each DC: 1 stitch into where 1 DC is worked into the other on the side, and the other DC either around the body of the DC, or into 2 threads of the body.  In each corner stitch, for SC make a SC, chain 1, SC; for DC, 2 DC, chain 1, DC.  The reason for the chain is to make a crisp corners; some directions will say 3 SC in a corner for SC and 5 for DC, so the first thing I described is the same # of stitches but IMO looks a tad nicer.  Add more rounds if you want, in the same way, since now you are stitching into all stitch top so it is a piece of cake.

Also, pro tip: if your border is in the same color as the body, ignore this.  If it isn't, do the first round of the border in the blanket color - this creates all stitch tops - then change color.  Reason: stitching into all stitch tops will look much nicer than working into the sides of sts in a slightly irregular way, in a different color.

On 9/14/2022 at 2:01 PM, Granny Square said:

Also, pro tip: if your border is in the same color as the body, ignore this.  If it isn't, do the first round of the border in the blanket color - this creates all stitch tops - then change color.  Reason: stitching into all stitch tops will look much nicer than working into the sides of sts in a slightly irregular way, in a different color.

I've been crocheting forever, but that's something I've never really thought about. Never too old to learn new tricks.

• Like 1