Need help with crochet blanket

ReggieM

Question

I'm making a blanket with no pattern it's made up of squares (normal squares not granny squares) that are 2 inches by 2 inches, I'm almost halfway done sewing it together and one of the squares along the edge broke and is coming apart and I'm not sure what I should do to fix it I don't think it can be sewn back together and the only solution I can think of is to sew another square of the same color to the back of it but I'm not sure if that would fix the problem. 

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

I may have bad news, not that this particular square is completely toast, but rather this might not be the only problem you'll encounter.  

A common issue I've seen on crochet boards is 'my grandma's/moms/my blanket squares are disintegrating, what do I do??' and there may be several answers, but the CAUSE is usually the same - the maker didn't leave long enough ends to weave in.  Seriously, for anything, even on a tiny 2" square, I wouldn't leave anything less than a 6" tail to weave in (there would be some trimming at the end, but I'd use as much of the length as I could).  I weave in multiple directions, turn and weave over the way I came after looping my thread around a loop of a stitch unobtrusively - not kidding. I weave inside the yarn strand, wherever I can.  At the end when I'm running out of yarn-end, I loop around something and go back the way I came at least a couple of inches before snipping it.

I would take matching yarn and as unobtrusively as possible, try to 'darn' the square back together.  Patching another square over or under it is not going to stop the first one to stop falling apart, and is going to look odd.

^ True, that is the best solution.  Not that the OP said this, but so many questions here start with "I've gone too far to rip this out" (which is never true) so I was sort of going for the 'cheat a little' answer.  Plus, when I darn something, or even weave an end in, you need dynamite to pull it out.  (almost).  Taught by mom and grandma who went thru the Great Depression...

Edited by Granny Square