Shawl on Lionbrand website with Mandala yarn

Bk2973

Question

Hi,

when I was looking through Lionbrand website. I was looking at Mandala yarn and read people posting messages, reviews and photos of their completed work, I came across the shawl that was posted on 7/20/2022 by Georgiann. I love the design and color of that shawl. On Lionbrand, there is no way for me to contact this person. Anyone knows which Mandala and what pattern that is? I really would love to get that pattern and make it myself.

11 answers to this question

It is based on the concept of a half granny square, which might narrow down your search.  Based on the appearance of the stitches it was made top down, in other words starts at the long side that you'd wear at your shoulders.  Adding the word 'spine' or 'granny' might help narrow your search to something close, if not the same.

When I say it started at the long side - it started at a tiny point in the MIDDLE of the long side, with the granny square 'corner' in the middle and it grows from the middle - up 1 side of a hill, and down the other - this construction is called a 'spine'.  Spines happen with not-granny-looking shawls as well, and can also start bottom up.

The maker might have made it up, or experimented with her stitch dictionary.  If you know how to make a granny square, and are an intermediate crocheter, the photo is clear enough that you might be able to use it as a 'stitch diagram'.  

Edited to add, because I didn't look at Greyhoundgrandma's links before I wrote the above - any of these would be a good place to start, along with your original photo.

Edited by Granny Square

I just looked at Ravelry patterns and narrowed the search down - free, craft=crochet, language=English, category=accessories>shawl/wrap, yarn weight= DK and Worsted, and 'triangle' in the search box (without the ' ' ).  Not sure if that is exactly what you would pick, but that yielded 11 pages of results; a lot, but not impossible to slog thru.  A lot of them were similar in 'flavor' to the shawl you liked.

Here is the search result.

I really hope you find it, but I think the odds may be against you.  It could be that it was from a source that isn't online anywhere, like a magazine from decades ago (shawls were a big thing in the 1960s-70s) or was published in not-English and IS on-line but only in Islandic (I learned quickly to search for English in Rav because I like to knit Scandinavian-style colorwork sweaters), or adapted from an afghan pattern that was made in straight rows and the maker improvised the V shape to turn it into a shawl.