Crochet square cardigan pattern

Chars

Question

4 answers to this question

So piece on left is what it should look like laid out flat with all squares attached. Then its folded in half so it looks like piece on right where the side and under arm of sleeves would be stitched.  From the diagram it looks pretty boxy with no shaping going on.  If there is shaping there should be instructions given.  We cant really guess what they are.  There might be slightly different motifs or motif joins for shaping or it might be shaped a bit when you block it.  

The diagram of the piece folded to look like a sweater is 'slightly wrong' in my opinion, and it jumped out at me the instant I scrolled to it.  It should not be straight across like that, it does not match the bottom diagram - the part that says 'neck' is a neckline hole the size of 2 squares.

Edited because I missed Char's second post - I'm not saying your pattern didn't tell you to do something odd because we run into a lot of oddly written and patterns, and patterns with errors, in the help section, but - are you sure it said the bold part?  'Two sides you leave to square out then the row you add 2on"?  Because the 'leave 2 squares out' makes perfect sense, but 'add 2 on' make no sense--where are you supposed to put your head

Oops, it is a cardigan.  Still, if it were me, I'd try it on with those 2 squares 'missing' first (it can't hurt, right?).  Reason - even cardigans have necklines, and I think it would be more comfortable with a shaped opening, not a slit, for your head--look in your closet, I bet none of your pullover or button-up tops or jackets have necklines that are just slits, right?  I made (sewed) my own clothes most of my life (not bragging, it was just cheaper that way and I enjoyed it) so I learned why pattern pieces are shaped they way they are, and what will work, or not, when you try to modify something.

sweater neckline.jpg

Edited by Granny Square