Pattern help

jstaff

Question

Hi all!

I am currently working on this shawl https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/flower-valley-shawl

I have 2 questions.

First, on page 9 of the pattern there is a lovely chart showing the stitch count but I do not understand why Rows 9, 11, 12, 13 all are so low in stitch counts. I understand for example Row 11 for the first half of the triangle has 10 chain 5 repeat sets. But for the 2nd half of the triangle how do you get 42?

Second, I just finished Row 11 and am having unequal edges. So at the beginning of row 11 I have 4 stitches before starting to chain 5 which according to the graphs is correct. However, at the end of Row 11 I have 6 stitches after ending with a chain 5. I don't know if that means my row 10 is messed up as well or only row 11. I am assuming both edges of the triangle should be equal and wanted to fix the mistake before I completed more rows. 

Row 9 (for reference)
ch3, 2 dc in first st,
1 sc in next st,
(ch7, skip 5 st, 1 sc in next st, ch3, skip 1 st, sc in next st) repeat till 1 st before corner,
1 sc in next st, ch6,
1 sc in next st, (ch3, skip 1 st, sc in next st,ch7, skip 5 st, 1 sc in next st) repeat till end, 3 dc in top of ch3

Row 10 (for reference)
ch3, 2 dc in first st,
1 sc in next st, (ch5, 1 sc in ch7 space, ch 5, tr3tog in ch3 space) repeat till corner ch6 space,
ch5 dc 5 in ch6 space, (ch5, tr3tog in ch3 space, ch5, 1 sc in ch7 space) repeat till end, ch5, 1 sc in last
but one st, 3 dc in top of ch3

Row 11 (for reference)
ch3, 2 dc in first st, 1sc in next st,
ch5, 1 sc in ch space repeat till corner,
ch5, 1 dc in 2nd dc of corner, ch4, 1 dc in 4th dc of corner
ch5, 1 sc in ch space repeat till end (ending with a ch5), 1 sc in last but one st, 3 dc in top of ch3

Hopefully that isn't to confusing and and help would be much appreciated!

8 answers to this question

It looks like the table counts a chain space, however many chains it contains, as '1'.

Personally, if I have a pattern that is diagrammed and written, I'm gonna follow the diagram, because I find it so much easier to follow--it doesn't take too long to 'read' the stitch symbols without effort.  Don't get me wrong, I'd been crocheting for decades before ever encountering a diagrammed pattern, so have no problem interpreting written patterns (and learned on vintage (doily) patterns, which are more terse than modern ones, and still like to use them). But it is more likely for a written pattern to have an error than a diagram IMO.

Sometimes it's hard to visualize a a complex direction in a written pattern (not necessarily difficult or 'advanced', just a lot of stuff going on in one line to process in your head), while in a diagram it's all laid out plain to see--there is no question about the count and how stitches fit in with the stitches around them.

I think if you look at the rows you are questioning in the diagram, you can see how the rows and stitches fit together and it will answer your question, and you can check the diagram's stitch counts against the written directions and stitch count table.  

49 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

It looks like the table counts a chain space, however many chains it contains, as '1'.

Personally, if I have a pattern that is diagrammed and written, I'm gonna follow the diagram, because I find it so much easier to follow--it doesn't take too long to 'read' the stitch symbols without effort.  Don't get me wrong, I'd been crocheting for decades before ever encountering a diagrammed pattern, so have no problem interpreting written patterns (and learned on vintage (doily) patterns, which are more terse than modern ones, and still like to use them). But it is more likely for a written pattern to have an error than a diagram IMO.

Sometimes it's hard to visualize a a complex direction in a written pattern (not necessarily difficult or 'advanced', just a lot of stuff going on in one line to process in your head), while in a diagram it's all laid out plain to see--there is no question about the count and how stitches fit in with the stitches around them.

I think if you look at the rows you are questioning in the diagram, you can see how the rows and stitches fit together and it will answer your question, and you can check the diagram's stitch counts against the written directions and stitch count table.  

Ok I think I am understanding a little more. I am still confused how the number 42 comes into play in the same row. I was reading the table as the second half of the triangle should have 42 stitches which makes no sense since it would be equal on both sides just half and half.

And thank you I think I will rip the rows out and see if following the diagram helps more. I usually just read the written instructions and that has worked fine but with the amount of rows and changing of stitches I may have been looking at the wrong row.  Hopefully, it doesn't come out lopsided the 2nd time around!

I checked link given at Ravelry.  There are 150 entries under projects.  Some comments made included

"This pattern is tricky to count correctly. One row is already off center by 1 because something got skipped somewhere along the way."

"Beware of the pattern differences between graph and written! Pick one and stick to it. The obvious differences are beg and end of some rows. I used the graph."

"but the schematic and description are horrible to follow along. Maybe it’s my lack of experience"

Edited by bgs

19 minutes ago, bgs said:

I checked link given at Ravelry.  There are 150 entries under projects.  Some comments made included

"This pattern is tricky to count correctly. One row is already off center by 1 because something got skipped somewhere along the way."

"Beware of the pattern differences between graph and written! Pick one and stick to it. The obvious differences are beg and end of some rows. I used the graph."

"but the schematic and description are horrible to follow along. Maybe it’s my lack of experience"

Thank you! I'm not the only one having trouble keeping count. I'm thinking of shelving this one until I have more time to sit down and work it more closely. 

The schematic looked straightforward to me, but I've used them on many lace projects.  The only thing I would have to look up is the post stitch around the edge, I can never remember which way the hook goes for back or front.

To the OP, here is a link that shows what the symbols mean. (US stitch terms)

I recommend buying a package of those Post-it 'flags', they are rectangular, about 1" x 1.75", about 2/3rds clear and sticky on 1 side and the rest colored and non-sticky; they are meant to harmlessly stick to a book page as a book mark; you can write on the non-sticky side, I usually just draw an arrow on the clear area in pencil; I'm also thrifty and cut them into 4 long thin strips (the stickiness goes away after a lot of re-sticking).  They are great for marking the stitch you left off on, in a symbol diagram pattern (a big help, you don't have to hunt for the exact stitch you left off at!  I use these for written patterns to, to mark which line I'm on).  Or, a plain post-it works too, it's just not clear and the re-stick factor isn't as good.

Edited by Granny Square

I have that pattern in my Rav library.  Dont know when you downloaded your copy but I just now downloaded it and see it has been updated with corrections so you might want to make sure you are working the updated version.

Looks like the designer only charted it which is great since English isnt her native language. Then someone else wrote it out.

40 minutes ago, bgs said:

I have that pattern in my Rav library.  Dont know when you downloaded your copy but I just now downloaded it and see it has been updated with corrections so you might want to make sure you are working the updated version.

Looks like the designer only charted it which is great since English isnt her native language. Then someone else wrote it out.

I will have to look and download it again. Thank you! 

Edited by jstaff