Help me decipher this please! Very confused.

Stidds

Question

I don't normally have an issue with crochet patterns, but this one has me beaten.  I opened my big mouth and promised a friend that I would crochet Taz for her.  I can't make sense of the first line of the pattern!

It goes like this:-

With brown, ch 12

RND1 (right side) sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next 9 chs, 5sc in last ch; working in free loops of beginning ch, 5 sc in next 10 chs; 5 sc in last chain, join with ss to first sc (30 sc).

I seem to run out of ch! I thought it may mean 5 sc in next 9 chs, but that will make too many stitches. No matter how I look at it, I can't get it.

3 answers to this question

I think there are two options:

1: There is a mistake in number of final stitches and there should be 25, not 30. The shape is like an arch.

2. There is a mistake in the part: 5 SC in next 10chs - and should be 10 SC in 10 chs. And The shape is oval.

It's hard to say as I don't know how this part would look when finished.

Check following rounds and compare number of stitches.

I even crocheted version 1 and 2 for you to see the difference.

20220803_190023.thumb.jpg.e72e246d8e8a1012c17d693c1aad87df.jpg

^ What she said.  This crochet 'transaction', working on both sides of a chain, is one of the most frequent 'help' questions, it IS really strange the first time you encounter it.

There are many youtubes showing how to work in an oval in general, the stitch counts may vary but it will help you with the general concept of working across 1 side of the chain, and then the other.

I also agree that if it supposed to be an oval (like Apak's bottom photo), there is a typo and the second pass should say 10 sts not 5.  One thing I learned, as a beginner crocheter before the internet and no one handy to ask if I was unsure of some instruction, was to look at the pattern photo and try to figure out what it meant.  Does that spot on Taz look like an oval, or an arch?  I could see an oval for the bottom of his foot, perhaps?

You are both fantastic! Thank you.

This is his body, and I think it should be the oval. I really appreciate Apak going to the effort of crocheting to show me the difference.

Happy crocheting! 

Stidds