How to create a closed item with the stitches on the inside? - Or maybe I'm interpreting the pattern wrong

pocket_pitbull

Question

Description of issue:

It's ONE simple bit of instruction, barely two sentences long: "With bottom’s ws facing out and working through both thicknesses, sl st bottom to bk lps of last rnd of cheesecake. Stuff moderately before closing."

The picture I'm attaching here is from the website https://www.copaceticcrocheter.com/ .  Not my picture or item, it belongs to the pattern I'm weeping over.

That line of instruction is to attach the bottom piece to the upper cake piece.  There are two pieces, a flat circle and the 'cup' (the top of the cake).  the instructions appear to be instructing me to stitch them together so that the slst are on the **inside**.  This is doable until around 3/4 of the way around when I realize - "and how am I supposed to do the final few stitches?" it clearly says to "close" it.

Further... and this may be a small thing, but the top of the cake goes 7 rounds, but the bottom piece apparently is only 6 rounds - and since it's a slst attachment - the piece feel way too small.

What I have tried already (just to assure everyone that I have TRIED, but failed - I am here out of desperation):

- slst going in through through the bl of the cake, *then* through the corresponding stitch on the bottom-piece, the slst ends up on the outside of the cake this way, and, nope, it doesn't let the cake sit flat and it doesn't look like the pic.  Tried going to the opposite way, and basically, if the slst is on the outside of the cake, it doesn't look like the pic.  This leads me to believe that there is a way to complete the closure with all the stitches on the inside... but I just... can't... figure out how???

- Looked on line for ANY type of video/instruction/pictures with no luck (tried the pattern makers name, nickname, tried keywords - nada).

- Contemplated asking the site owner, but it really looks like she's very busy, very popular... and the 'contact' page looks like it's more for businesses rather than some idiot who can't figure out a free pattern (it's for the "Ohlala Cheesecake", by the way).

Please ... please help?  I don't know what other terminology to look up, I'm at the end of my rope.

1541739.jpg

2 answers to this question

I don't think you are attaching it from the inside. You are making the bottom with the RS facing you and then you don't fasten off, just continue with the RS facing you and start attaching the upper cake part. Since the upper cake part ended in a round of brown (you are attaching brown to brown), you really can't tell much from the photo. The upper part and the bottom should have 48 st.

You end of with the WS of the bottom on the outside of the cake.

The photo with the pattern does not show the bottom at all.   As greyhoundgrandma pointed out that round of dark brown we see is the last round of the side of of the cake.  We do not see the join of bottom to side.  You can look at project pages for this pattern here.  If you are not a member its free to join.  One person does show the bottom because she was in a hurry and attached the goodies to the bottom.