"Rounded" edges ?

jstne

Question

Hello everyone, 

I've been struggling with this for 2 days now and I still can't get there (I'm a newbie)! 

I would like to make rounded corners as shown in the photo. I started with ch. 50, then row 2 - single crochet, then tried to increase it by adding a single crochet in the last stitch. I don't know if I'm clear! 

Anyway, any help is good to take because I am desperate! Thanks a lot !

pull 1.png

5 answers to this question

So from your question it sounds like you are not using a pattern but trying to recreate something similar to this photo?  I dont think it was constructed the way you are attempting.  I cant tell from photo if bag is made using a gusset or if it was made in the round starting with an oval.

http://www.handmadiya.com/2019/07/crochet-belt-pouch-bag-tutorial-and.html?m=1

https://www.craftpassion.com/crochet-tote-bag/#mv-creation-387-jtr

Bgs, I'm thinking it doesn't have a flat oval bottom if that's what you meant, look at the right side bottom, looks like a single rectangular piece flipping up.

Jstne - a recommendation from someone who has been crocheting a long time.  I have learned a lot of tricks, and know how to tweak designs (that usually work) because I have followed  a LOT of different patterns, and learned a lot of things from them, and know the cause and effect of doing certain things.

As a newbie, you don't have that experience YET, but you will.  The process of making stabs at this to get the effect you want will teach you what (probably) won't work.

I think you may on the right track by increasing at the ends.  My suggestion - try just working back and forth across just a few stitches at 1 corner to see what increase scheme is going to work, rather than working ALL the way to the other end and ALL the way back - in other words, make a 'swatch' over just the corner to see what works, and what doesn't.  The trick is going to be determining the right ratio of increasing.

It is not a bag but a sleeveless top, so there is no bottom. It is two panels connected by the sides. 

Bgs - actually I don't have a pattern and am trying to reproduce something similar ! Thanks a lot for the links, I'll have a look at it. I think the first one might work actually !

Grannysquare - Thank you very much for your reply. I will practice on a corner to see what works. 

I'll keep you posted on my progress if I get it right!

Edited by jstne

Sorry I couldnt see it well enough to tell what you were working on.  I am on my phone.

I have done an egg shaped hotpad and got the roundness by increases and then decreases.  Something that really helped keep the shape better rounded was making the increases or decreases in the second and next to the last stitches instead of first and last stitches.