Stitch help

Emmi

Question

8 answers to this question

That's pretty, I like the texture!  Otherwise, it is a pretty basic vintage-style ripple blanket; I'm saying 'vintage' because newer ones seem to be mostly in US DC, and older ones (that I've run across) seem to mostly be in US SC.  I really like that it is diagrammed!

OK, I downloaded the US version...I did a search on the word 'base', and found it in the notes at the beginning 'At the beginning of each row, insert your hook into the base of Ch1', and it appears 3 more times with the same phrasing.  

Normally, at the end of a row in SC, where the following row is SC, you chain 1, turn, and SC in the last SC of the previous round.  This is conventionally true of SC but not taller stitches.  If I were the one following this pattern, I'd consider that the 'base' of the chain was the last stitch of the prior row, and work the turning transaction in the conventional way--last SC of prior row, chain 1, turn, SC in the SC you just made.  If you think about it, the stitch I underlined IS the base of the chain, right?  I can't imagine this normal way of treating a SC would not work for your blanket.

The reason I liked the diagram - ripples are easy, but they are not 'put your brain on autopilot' projects.  You need to remember this:  put an increase directly over the increase (hilltop) of the row below, and a decrease directly over the increase (valley) below.  This sounds so simple, but you'd be surprised how many help questions we get for 'why is my ripple blanket crooked'.  

I think these two articles might be helpful

https://mamas2hands.com/2018/04/26/the-anatomy-of-your-stitches/amp/

https://www.edieeckman.com/2019/08/28/where-to-put-the-first-stitch-of-a-crochet-row/

So have made your chains and single crocheted or made other stitches back across to the first chain you made? If so its telling you to make a sc in the first ch you made.  If it means something else not enough info was given to us to figure it out.

Welcome to the 'ville!  Not sure if it is a weird new thing or just oddly worded.

Where is this happening in the pattern?  Is it right after the slip knot on your hook, and you have chained 1?  I suppose you could stick your hook into that chain and slip stitch into it.  It could (possibly) be a picot.  But both are unlikely in a chevron blanket.

Bgs has just replied with some resources - I agree, we need more info.  I might have been able to throw out a couple more wild guesses, but it's better to save time and focus on the right situation!

This is the full pattern that I found on Pinterest with a free link. Using the us version
https://coolcreativity.com/crochet/drops-of-heaven-chevron-blanket-free-crochet-pattern/ 

so i have completed the base chain and the first row. The question I had was about how the second row starts. But I noticed that the same phrase occurs through the pattern.

thanks again! 

The pattern is actually telling you to do something other than what you normally would do.  Granny Square is just telling you she doesnt see why what you would normally do wouldnt work.  The pattern is telling you to work into that chain and then work into the next stitch, skip a stitch......You might want to make a shorter test swatch so you can get a feeling for how your sides are going to turn out depending on which path you choose to follow.

:idea  I was thinking that it would be an increase if you worked into the chain and the first stitch, and that the skipped stitch was the first 'valley'.   But looking at the diagram again, the edge 'valley' isn't \/ shaped, it's  __ , so skipping 1 valley stitch at the edge counteracts the increase instead of making a valley.

And, if you worked into the back bump of the chain, it would make the chain-looking part 'flip up' toward the side, which would make the side look nice(r) every other row.  

So what I said would work, but would change the edge a little (would make a slight valley not a flat area).