Ss then ch1

Acidburn

Question

6 answers to this question

You're doing SC now for the sock foot, right?  In crochet, you have to do a 'turning chain', or a 'chain up' to get the yarn up to the level of the next row.  This chain at the beginning of a row or round does not count as a stitch for single crochet, but it does for every other stitch*.  You should not be using that 'chain up' as a stitch.  Also, if you are joining rows with a slst, the slst does not count as a stitch either.

I can't recall if Bgs or I have linked this before, sorry if it is a repeat, but scroll down to the drawing of a row of SC ('figure 4"), it points to the turning chain and a t the end of the SC section, it says to never count the turning chain as a stitch.

*sometimes a designer will count the turning chain for HDC, but it should be explicitly pointed out in the pattern.

Have you ever used stitch markers?  They come in handy, even when a pattern doesn't tell you to put a marker in a particular spot.  If you are having trouble recognizing the slst + chain 1 to ignore it, it might be a good idea to put a stitch marker in both of them (since they are adjacent stitches you might be able to put 1 marker around/into both).  I use bobby pins, and they stay in pretty well and a lot cheaper than craft store 'real' crochet markers.

56 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Have you ever used stitch markers?  They come in handy, even when a pattern doesn't tell you to put a marker in a particular spot.  If you are having trouble recognizing the slst + chain 1 to ignore it, it might be a good idea to put a stitch marker in both of them (since they are adjacent stitches you might be able to put 1 marker around/into both).  I use bobby pins, and they stay in pretty well and a lot cheaper than craft store 'real' crochet markers.

I always use markers iv learned the hard way I was just curious cause of doing the slst ch1 I was left with a "false loop" 

It happens in the round center-out , too, that used to trip me up too until I figured out what was going on.   I made a little visual of that extra loop a while back; DC not SC but same concept, the 'skip' loop is the 'extra loop' slip stitch joining the rounds.  It's probably easier to spot in DC because of ch 3 not 1, and the stitches are taller.

91615935_extrastitchintheroundwheretostartnextround.thumb.jpg.0d17de818ec2ed75c2e45a7c7dd1fd37.jpg.

There lots of rules to remember in crochet, aren't there?  Altho knitting isn't much better, the knit and purl stitches are simple by themselves, but everything else is more complicated than crochet IMO because you're constrained by 'stitches stuck on a stick'.