Advice on next step in pattern

Ell

Question

Hi There 

I was wondering if anyone can help. 

Im currently following a pattern and I am not sure what to do next. It has been a row of double crochet (UK) and I have just completed a row of * 1 ch, skip 1 dc, 1 dc in next dc *, repeat' Now it is instructing me to 'Work next row as follows: 2 ch, skip first dc from previous row and work 1 dc in first ch, * 1 ch, skip 1 dc, 1 dc in next ch *, repeat from *-* the entire row'.. I am struggling to know if the double crochet goes into the chain stitch (push through the chain to get one loop on the hook) or to go under the chain stitch? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Best Wishes 

3 answers to this question

I think 99.9% of designers mean, and crocheters execute, 'working into a chain' as sticking the hook under the chain and working the stitch around the chain, as if the chain were the top 2 loops of a 'normal' stitch.

I usually do that ^ except in filet lace, because I make short-ish stitches; working into (not around) a loop or 2 of each chain gives me a tiny bit more height, closer to that of DCs made into DCs.  But that's me.

Edited by Granny Square
edited for clarity
  • Like 1

Is there a good close up photo of the finished piece so you can see what they really did?  At one time I would have assumed they meant to work into the chain space but then usually the pattern said to work into the chain space. Anymore we are seeing a lot of non conventionally written patterns so it is more challenging trying to figure out what they mean for us to do.  You do it one way.  If that doesnt work you pull it out and try another way.

• Like 1

^ good point, and reminded me I should have expanded a little on what I said earlier.  Without going into detail on filet construction, I only might choose to work into (not around)  each chain of a chain space, if the number of chains and the number of stitches put into them, are equal.  A lot of times, they are not, and I would always choose to work around a chain in that case.

Example, this pattern is mostly chain spaces in the middle area, I would work the (probably sc) around the chain not into the center 1 chain of each chain loop; for one thing, in a doily, this will allow the sc to 'scoot around and center itself' when you block it.