Pattern question....

TootsZBell

Question

Hi Everyone,

I'm making a sunflower granny square baby blanket and I was reading the pattern before I start. When I get to the petals part of the pattern I get confused, it calls for me to:

Ch 3. *Do 5 dc into the sp; take out the hook and insert it into the 1st dc, then grab the loop, and do a sl st; ch 2; repeat from * 15 more times; once you have finished the entire round, sl st into the gap after the 1st petal. Fasten off.

I am a self taught beginner and have made a few afghans and scarves so far, but I'm not familiar with the "removing of the hook" part, nor the way they ended the pattern by sl st on the left side of the 1st petal. Does this sound right?

I appreciate any guidance. If you need more info, please let me know.  Thanks! :)

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

Sounds like a popcorn stitch to me, and that is my favorite 'bumpy stitch' to make. (I don't care for puff stitches; nothing wrong with them, I just like the more structured look of the popcorns better.  They are also a WHOLE lot easier to make than knit bobbles).   Taking the hook out and joining first and last stitch make them very obviously stick out, as the stitches have nowhere else to go but outward.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

Hello Granny Square,

Thank you very much for your reply. I looked up the Popcorn stitch and sure enough, that is it. Thanks again!! :)

I have another question about the previous step which is the center of the flower. I'm wondering if it is a Bobble stitch? Here are the instructions and picture below:

" B) CENTER OF THE FLOWER (2), using the light brown yarn

1. Insert your hook into any st on the center of the flower, and grab the light brown yarn; ch 3. Next, do a dc into the same sp; ch1. Place a st marker into this st. *Yarn over once, and

insert hook into the next sp; you should have 3 loops; yarn over, pull through two loops; yarn over, insert hook into the sp, you should now have 4 loops. Yarn over, and go through two loops. Finally, you should have 3 loops on your hook, yarn over, and pull through ALL 3 loops; ch1; repeat from * 14 more times; at the end you should have 16 small “petals,” fasten off. "

I am really LOVING Crochetville!! Everyone is so friendly and very helpful as I learn new things!! :) Thanks again.

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 11.02.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 11.01.48 AM.png

These (center of the flower) instructions are a little confusingly written.  I think it is trying to tell you to do a 3-DC cluster, where you make 3 partial DCs (just short of the final yo and pull thru), which leaves you 4 loops on the hook, then yo and pull thru all the loops at the end to pull them all together.  Same as a decrease of 3 DCs together, except in the decrease the DCs span 3 stitches, the cluster is all in 1 stitch.  And clusters are what the light brown round looks like.  [when you do a cluster, or a multiple stitch decrease, you always have 1 more loop on the hook than are clustered together]