What stitch is this?

Katrin

Question

6 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  This is a guess, I both knit and crochet and I think it is knit garter stitch.  The 'yarn' makes it hard to tell, this is what it looks like in more conventional yarn - https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/garter-stitch-4164738

This is the 'easiest' knit stitch 'pattern', it is worked turning each row, all in the knit stitch.  It's the only knit fabric that you don't have to worry about curling at the edges (well, except all purl, but that's just a reverse knit stitch).

I have an observation and a little advice--it seems to me that new crocheters are drawn to yarns that would be considered a pain in the fanny (or wrists probably too, in this case) for (not all, but a lot) of more seasoned crafters.  It would be difficult to work with and probably cause a beginner to swear off crochet or knitting.  I think that is some sort of T-shirt yarn (?), perhaps others here will weigh in and correct me if I'm wrong.  It would also take immensely thick needles.

I agree that it's not crochet. The bag description specifically states it's "knotted weaving" which is usually made with satin or silk ribbons. The Hawaiians make some leis with this knotting technique and they're beautiful. I'm not able to find anything on the web but if you do a deeper search, you'll more than likely find instructions.

A comment, there is a Tunisian knit and Tunisian purl stitch.  Knit garter, which is knit front and back turning in each row, has the appearance of alternating rows knit and purl on each side.  Here is 1 link that shows what alternating Tunisian Knit and Tunsian Purl rows looks like, and if you scroll down a bit it shows both the Tunisian and knit version of garter - it looks pretty close.  I am not sure if it will be easy to find a Tunisian cabled  hook big enough for that thick yarn, tho. 

Knooking just came to mind when I thought of the cabled hook - knooking is real knitting with a crochet hook with a cable on the end.  It was a fad a while back.  IMO it would be easier to knook than to do Tunisian, and easier to knit for real than knook.  If you want to consider learning knitting, knittinghelp.com is a good resource; I learned to knit before crochet, as a kid, and then dropped knitting until about 2010; knittinghelp was great for brushing up on what I sort-of remembered.  Real knitting is a lot simpler than Tunisian, and less fiddly than knooking (I find it easier to work stitches off a needle than a cable).

Reni, your reply just came up as I was about to hit the post button.  Your description of Hawaiian knotted weaving made me think of those hats they make for tourists (probably made from ti leaf or banana leaf strips? -- but I still think garter is close, and the OP is more likely to find garter tutorials!)

OK, I stand corrected, there are actually quite a few hat weaving tutorials...here's one...https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Make-a-Coconut-Palm-Hat/  And coconut fronds...well those were higher off the ground so I didn't think of those :lol But easier to weave short frond pieces than yarn I'd think.

Edited by Granny Square

amazing, you guys are rockstars! tbh i don't like knitting that much, but i know consider to try it again as i really like the pattern! 
also never heard of knooking before and that is something i def. will dive deeper into as well. thanks everyone!!!