What is this stitch

Cindy Joe

Question

I currently found an old crochet project that I hadn’t picked up in a while and can’t remember the stitch can you please help me with the photo I attach? Much appreciated thank you very much.

I currently found an old crochet project that I hadn’t picked up in a while and can’t remember the stitch can you please help me with the photo I attach? Much appreciated thank you very much.

Cindy Vellinga

82D5D313-68C5-4500-AB0F-5823609E437B.jpeg

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  And, although my 'name' here is Granny Square, I don't do a lot of that pattern, but your item is one big granny square.

A comment, if you want do make one - crochet stitches have a bias, the stitches don't exactly line up in columns if you work with the same side facing, like you usually would for a toy, a hat, a doily or a granny square.  The bias doesn't show up if you make a lot of little squares and assemble them in a blanket, but it 'accrues' in 1 big item like this.  It will look better if you turn every round.  By 'bias' in a square like this the rounds will end up looking like a swirl rather than a square.

This site shows ways to deal with the bias in a granny square, I am not a fan of heat blocking (it makes acrylic yarn crunchy and limp, would probably be OK for cotton or wool). I have never tried shifting the starting corner (not sure why that would work, but it sounds interesting, however it would be a nuisance if you weren't changing color every round).  The last method shows the difference that turning every round makes.  I think turning has an additional plus because there is no right and wrong side.

https://www.cherryheartcrochet.co.uk/2016/03/keeping-granny-squares-straight.html