help read a pattern

chocmuffin

Question

5 answers to this question

Orienting myself - The top photo is showing part of row 25, which is where you attach the underarms to the body across 6 stitches, I assume directly across the body from each other, so we can't see the other arm.  

The bottom photo --I am going to assume the white part of the body is the front of the toy, and the arms are set slightly forward, so there are more stitches across the back than the front. 

The only part I'm not 100% sure of are the 2 sets of 3 stitches, this is my guess, but you have the item at hand and can add up all the stitches to see what might make sense.  Both arms are attached at the underarm so you don't have to stitch across there again.

My guess: the 24 sts are around the back, 13 around the first arm stitches that are not already attached at the underarms, 18 sts across the front, and 13 across the other upper arm stitches.  

The only part I'm really guessing at is the 3 stitches that are on either side of the front.  My wild guess:  there are 3 blue stitches on either side of the white front, and 18 white stitches in the center front, to round off the the the top white front so it's not a straight line.  

Does the pattern photo look like that might be likely?  

Edited by Granny Square

I hope so, for Chocmuffin's sake.  But I'm frowning and wagging my finger at the designer if my guess is right, for not mentioning color changes at those points.  Hopefully the step by step photos help clear it up further along.

9 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Orienting myself - The top photo is showing part of row 25, which is where you attach the underarms to the body across 6 stitches, I assume directly across the body from each other, so we can't see the other arm.  

The bottom photo --I am going to assume the white part of the body is the front of the toy, and the arms are set slightly forward, so there are more stitches across the back than the front. 

The only part I'm not 100% sure of are the 2 sets of 3 stitches, this is my guess, but you have the item at hand and can add up all the stitches to see what might make sense.  Both arms are attached at the underarm so you don't have to stitch across there again.

My guess: the 24 sts are around the back, 13 around the first arm stitches that are not already attached at the underarms, 18 sts across the front, and 13 across the other upper arm stitches.  

The only part I'm really guessing at is the 3 stitches that are on either side of the front.  My wild guess:  there are 3 blue stitches on either side of the white front, and 18 white stitches in the center front, to round off the the the top white front so it's not a straight line.  

Does the pattern photo look like that might be likely?  

i think you guessed it right! the designer doesn’t mention the 25th row and skip right to 26th row so i got very confused.

1932580D-FE54-4B0C-9B8B-12211050DBCE.thumb.jpeg.b27be7b0050e856aca708c4b31e9430f.jpeg

does this mean that the 25th will be the row i attach the underarms with 6sc?

Whoa.  Interesting that the pattern colorizes the words to indicate color changes instead of saying 'drop white, attach blue' or similar, I've never seen that before, kinda clever actually.  

I'm also confused, as I'm not seeing any DC just SC but it is possible it's the top-down angle of the photos.  I'm not saying there should not be a mix of stitch types, that is usually done for shaping of some sort.

There is obviously an error in the pattern in row numbering.  However I don't think it proves that there is a rnd 25 that we need to add and 'guess at', I believe you will be attaching the arms in the 6 blue stitches of the round labeled as 24.