How can I make the flower in my Granny Square bigger?

Nekita

Question

Hello, I am following a dainty daisy tutorial for a tote bag. The tote bag needs two kinds of granny squares, dainty daisies and solid coloured squares. I made the other squares so that it has 5 rows of double crochets after making the magic circle.

Is there a way I can make the daisy on the daisy granny square bigger? I made a few extra rows after the daisy to match it with the size of the other squares and I don’t like how small the flower looks.

6 answers to this question

Is this it? Using a larger hook will make it a little larger but not as much as you would like.  A thicker yarn would also make them larger.  Now you see why the squares were small----so they would be proportional to the flower.  I am afraid there is no easy way to make flowers larger without a significant rewrite of the pattern and it will change the flowers look.  It would be better to search for a different pattern.  It might help the look of your square if you break up the color in the rows you added by making a row white or the color you used for the flower.

I agree on looking for another pattern, there are gobs of blanket squares with some sort of daisy flower in the middle.

Here is a pattern of granny flowers with 5 rows, will this work?  Looking at the center square, where the center is purple - make the center yellow, the next 2 white, the next one green for leaves, and then a border color to match the solid color squares?

15 minutes ago, bgs said:

Is this it? Using a larger hook will make it a little larger but not as much as you would like.  A thicker yarn would also make them larger.  Now you see why the squares were small----so they would be proportional to the flower.  I am afraid there is no easy way to make flowers larger without a significant rewrite of the pattern and it will change the flowers look.  It would be better to search for a different pattern.  It might help the look of your square if you break up the color in the rows you added by making a row white or the color you used for the flower.

Hey, that is the one. Thank you for replying to me. I don't think I have enough ability to modify the pattern, I might look for another pattern instead. 

4 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I agree on looking for another pattern, there are gobs of blanket squares with some sort of daisy flower in the middle.

Here is a pattern of granny flowers with 5 rows, will this work?  Looking at the center square, where the center is purple - make the center yellow, the next 2 white, the next one green for leaves, and then a border color to match the solid color squares?

Hi, did you perhaps attach something? I apologise, I am new to the forum and am still getting used to the controls.