Chevron

Brandys

Question

I have never done a Chevron pattern before. I have to watch videos to learn since I cannot read a pattern. So I have noticed that my ends of my rows are getting longer and I don't know how to fix it

16501461072282451235446186254666.jpg

Edited by Brandys

10 answers to this question

You will need to pull it out and start over.  You are increasing stitches on each row. You have to count, count, count those stitches always counting the number of stitches down to the valleys and counting number of stitches back up to the ridges.  I dont do well with video patterns of any length.  Much prefer a written pattern

I have bad news, but I think you are probably expecting this - you're going to have to start over.

Chevrons cause a LOT of people trouble, so don't feel bad.  They are NOT difficult, but they ARE easy to mess up if you let your mind wander.  

All chevrons have 2 hillsides, / \ where each hillside is the same # of stitches (if / this is 8 stitches, \ that is also 8 stitches).  COUNT THEM.  Every one.  Seriously.

All chevrons have a valley and a hilltop, and the hilltop adds the same # of stitches that the valley removes (because you want the sides to be even, the total stitch ** of every row needs to be the same).  Every valley is made into the center of the valley below it, and likewise every hilltop is made in the center of the hilltop below it.  Example: if the hilltop puts 3 stitches into 1, that is an increase of 2; therefore it's valley should be 3 stitches together to make 1 (a decrease of 2).

Because your pattern is a 'granny clusters', groups of 3 DCs, it should be easier to count, versus counting single stitches.

Looking at your photo, you have something going on that I've never seen before--the red, aqua, and white stripes are all 3 rows, but your yellow stripe is partly 2  rows and partly 3, and your blue stripe is partly 3 rows and partly 4 rows.  Unless this is long distance* variegated yarn (a poor choice IMO for stripes that are normally consistent), this should not be happening.

*this is the wrong description, but I can't think of the right word; the colors change very slowly, but abruptly, versus every couple of stitches.

• Like 1

Bgs and I posted about the same time.  Count count count is right.  I don't make a lot of blankets, but did make a sort-of ripple for my great nephew, and I know better, but I goofed up at least twice and didn't spot the error either time for lots of rows.  Lots of muttering under my breath....

It is always a good idea to stop and admire your work often, so you can spot errors before you get to far past them!

• Like 1

Thank you so much. I started over and I'm making sure I count. My sister-in-law wanted me to make this blanket using the yarn scraps from her grandmother's yarn so I'm doing my best as far as switching colors and incorporating the colors she wants. 

16501702577445904057083700124838.jpg

Edited by Brandys
  • Like 1

That looks a lot better!  And it's really nice to make it from your sister in-law's grandmother's yarn.  What a wonderful way to remember her!  👍

Hoping you'll post a pic of the finished blanket when it's completed.

:applause  Yes indeed, chiming in with Bgs, you are right on track.  

How sweet to do this for your sister in law!  I'm trying to think what I'd do if I wanted to use little scrappy blips of yarn... your stripe repeat is 3 rows of 1 color now, maybe make every xth stripe (set of 3 rows) a scrappy one, or throw in a 1 row stripe to use up 1 color every so often.

There are also patterns for ripples that are a row of ripple stripes and a row of granny squares assembled in a rippled way; I'm sure granny squares were invented to use up odds and ends of yarn like this.  Here is one, the link takes you to Yarnspirations where the free pattern is, but I linked the pattern page on Ravelry because it has in-process photos so you can see how it goes together. I didn't look at the details but I imagine the square is joined-as-you-you-go on 2 sides of its last round to the \/ ripple of the ripple, then the next ripple stripe's first row is worked into the /\ part of the granny square.

Edited, I'd meant to add, the granny square rows would blend in perfectly with your pattern, which is already a 3DC stitch pattern.  Your 'hillsides' are four 3-dc clusters, so just make 3-round granny squares.  Maybe these can be added just at each end instead of trying to figure out how to integrate them between rows.

Edited by Granny Square