Stuck with pattern: in magic ring *sc, ch2* x4 (8)

Niks

Question

Hi,

I am relatively new to crochet, and do not quite know how to read and do this pattern: 

in magic ring: *sc, ch2* x4 (8)

I know how to do a magic ring and a single stitch, but I am not sure what the ch2 (or chain 2) is and how to do it in a magic ring? 

Thanks in advance.

2 answers to this question

This shows how to make and work into a  magic ring.

https://sarahmaker.com/crochet-magic-ring/

The sc's are worked into the ring formed by the magic circle.  The ch 2's are worked between the sc's and not into the ring. You work the sequence between the asterisks 4 times.  The number in parenthesis is the stitch count.  In this instance looks like 8 is including 4 sc+ 4 ch spaces

Sc into ring, ch, ch,

Sc into ring, ch, ch,

Sc into ring, ch, ch,

Sc into ring, ch, ch,

Welcome to the 'ville, and exactly what Bgs said above.  You can never work a chain into a stitch, it is always floating in the air.  You can work stitches into chains, however.  And chains can remain 'floating in the air' in lacy patterns.

Your sc, chain 2, done a total of 4 times, is going to look like this, where the underline is the magic ring, x = sc, and °= chain:  x°°x°°x°°x°°

Because I can't type in a circle, the end ° will be sitting in front of (to the left of) the first x.

Pro tip:  when working in the round, especially in a spiral (where you don't connect the rounds and chain up to start the next round), it is a very good idea to put a stitch marker into the first stitch made, and move it up each round, so you don't lose your place in the pattern.

Edited by Granny Square
fixed my 'diagram'