What size square blanket would be considered a throw size?

Kayla Jackson

I’m making a square moss stitch blanket, and was wondering what size to make it if I want it to be a throw. I know that normally throws are 50” x 60”, but that’s not a square measurement, so I’m not sure what size to make the blanket. 60” x 60”?  50” x 50”?
The pattern only says to “work in continuous rounds until it’s as large as you like”. What’s your opinion?

Its really your personal preference. Things I would think about are: How big is(are) the person(s) that will be using it? How much yarn do I have left?  I might do larger than 50 inches but less than 60 inches instead of purchasing more yarn or opening a new skein.

Well, I’m turning it into the state fair in July, so that’s what it’s for. I just started it and have six skeins of sweet roll yarn, including the one I am on. If you suggest somewhere between 50” and 60”, I will try to stop at the end of a skein somewhere in between there.

I looked into entering something in a State or County Fair once and there was a list of requirements online of what qualifies in a category for consideration for judging, so I think if there is a category for throws or blankets it would be worthwhile to look into it for your fair.  It would be awful if you made a lovely item and it didn't qualify because of the shape or total square inches or whatever rules they have.

PS life got in the way and I never did enter anything...

The handbook isn’t out yet this year for our fair (North Dakota) but the website says it is coming soon. I enter something every year in the state fair-(there’s no county fair in my county because we host the state fair every year in my city) but I have never turned in a square blanket other than a giant granny (using bernat blanket) that got a 1st. Our fair awards ribbons based on merit and not competition, so there can be multiple firsts, seconds, etc., and you can be the only person in the category and still not get a ribbon. There’s no specific size requirement other than what it’s used for (baby blankets go in the baby category, bedspreads in the bedspread category, etc.), but I could be wrong, or they could have changed it. As soon as the books come out, I definitely check the rules and categories every year and make sure I’m following them, so I’ll be sure to do that this year as well.