Reversible Scarf help

LeapyearCynthia

Question

Hey y'all-

I have been working on 'catch up' projects and this is one that has been in timeout for quite some time - a reversible cable scarf that I have seriously attempted and ripped a half dozen times trying to figure out where I am screwing up.  Obviously I am not putting the beginning and end stitches in the right place by the fact that the cables on either end are getting straightened out.  It's really not a difficult pattern,  but there's clearly something I'm missing.  Any ideas??? (The back looks fine, so I'm not too far off base if I can figure out where I'm killing the front 😅).

Thanks for any and all help!!  🙂🙂🙂

20220323_115755.jpg

20220323_120706.jpg

Screenshot_20220323-120006_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

10 answers to this question

I believe you might be on track, I think the pattern photo on the right is somewhere mid-scarf, in other words not showing the very beginning where you are at in your photo.

The way the pattern is written, the first 4 rows don't have any cross-overs, so is basically 'ribbing', which would be a common-sense to way begin and end (a scarf with cables; cables on such a narrow thing might tend to curl (in a tube, not curl up), so having the ends 'straight' might fight the curl a little; or just be a design element.

I think its going to take practice.  I have been playing with it this afternoon.  I needed to stop and pull stitches into position.  I had to be really mindful when working back across the crossing over rows to find and work into each designated stitch.  I didnt like the cross over stitches at the ends.  On the start of that row I had to work to get the corner pulled over as it wanted to roll.  Not sure I have it quite right.  Not liking the sides.  Would need more practice before actually making scarf. I think I would prefer 2 or 3 double crochet stitches on either side instead of running the cables to the edge20220323_164731.thumb.jpg.ff5c6c01c2de767e2a205a11c2e569dd.jpg20220323_164802_HDR.thumb.jpg.c01c119960d09555e1266e911fbdb205.jpg

Thank you all so much.  After reading and looking at what y'all have said and done, I tore it apart once more (thankfully this is my practice piece) and started marking around the turning chain of each row.  I think that helped me the most, so that I could see where the stitches were and not work into the chain.  The center stitches really are easy, but the ends are a royal bugger.  I think I finally have it, and with a few more rows of practice will be ready to tackle this with the pretty chocolate Malabrigo that my hubby won from a yarn crawl a couple years ago.  This is going to be his scarf, and he has been patiently waiting for it.  

Thanks again, I am so grateful for all your help.  😊

20220324_201816.jpg

20220324_201826.jpg

13 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

By George, I think she's got it!  :clap

😂😂😂 Quitters never win, and winners never quit.  Very few things defeat me no matter how long it takes (almost 2½ years on this one).  I am breathing a huge sigh of relief, and thinking hubby will get his scarf for Christmas.  Between driving full-time and working on other projects, should be able to get it done by then 😁

So this is how the actual piece is coming along ... started last night and have made pretty good progress.  Goes fairly quickly once you figure out what the heck you're doing 😅  It's got a great squishy texture and I am absolutely in love with the yarn!

20220325_145123.jpg