Question about pattern

cynwilson429

Question

Hello. I’m working on a pattern and I’m a little frustrated because one row says to chain 3 and turn and the other says to chain 4 and then chain 1 which of course makes a much larger hole, if you will. The result is one side looks totally different than the other. Is this normal? I can post a picture if that would help. Thanks. 

6 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  Is the stitch after the 'chain 4 plus 1' taller than a US DC?  Or is that row 'lacy' in any way?--if so maybe the hole is supposed to be there, and you'd  probably be making 'other holes' in that row.

It is most common for both sides of a piece to mirror each other in my experience, but depending on what you are making it could be there on purpose - example if you were making a baby garment, I can see you adding an edging later and that 'hole' being the buttonhole, and the other edge is solid because it is the side seam.

A picture would help, I learned to crochet before the internet and after an initial lesson I didn't have anyone handy to ask when I got stuck, so I solved problems myself and one of the big 'helps' was studying the pattern photo.  The other 'help' was just following exactly what it said for a short while, usually it was a :idea moment and I learned a new thing.

18 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville!  Is the stitch after the 'chain 4 plus 1' taller than a US DC?  Or is that row 'lacy' in any way?--if so maybe the hole is supposed to be there, and you'd  probably be making 'other holes' in that row.

It is most common for both sides of a piece to mirror each other in my experience, but depending on what you are making it could be there on purpose - example if you were making a baby garment, I can see you adding an edging later and that 'hole' being the buttonhole, and the other edge is solid because it is the side seam.

A picture would help, I learned to crochet before the internet and after an initial lesson I didn't have anyone handy to ask when I got stuck, so I solved problems myself and one of the big 'helps' was studying the pattern photo.  The other 'help' was just following exactly what it said for a short while, usually it was a :idea moment and I learned a new thing.

No it’s not lacy. It’s a blanket. I’ve attached a picture and the directions (see rows 9 & 10). They are both different. Thanks. 

E60E90AD-C52F-4BBA-B93C-C9D6B19DB7AF.jpeg

0D6B4B08-99E5-40E7-A3B6-45D72C6C3441.jpeg

It says ch 4 (counts as dc, ch 1) NOT ch 4 and then ch 1

The part in ( ) is explaining that ch 4 is counted as a dc and a ch 1 in the stitch count for that row

--41dc and 40 ch 1 sp is the stitch count for that row

Ch 3 is counting as a dc, its the part taking you up to heighth you need for row.  The ch 1 is moving you across the row because next you skip 2 stitches. 

1 hour ago, bgs said:

It says ch 4 (counts as dc, ch 1) NOT ch 4 and then ch 1

The part in ( ) is explaining that ch 4 is counted as a dc and a ch 1 in the stitch count for that row

--41dc and 40 ch 1 sp is the stitch count for that row

Ch 3 is counting as a dc, its the part taking you up to heighth you need for row.  The ch 1 is moving you across the row because next you skip 2 stitches. 

Oh, now this makes sense.  I've never went off of a pattern before, just did my own thing.  Now that I see the picture, it is kind of off so I'll be tearing this out and starting over and hopefully it will look correct now.  I appreciate your help so much!