Help with making a top

Amore

Question

Hi there,

I was wonder if anyone could help me with this pattern. I am new to crocheting. I started the foundation row where it says to dc in next st, ch1, sk next st but I am confused where it says 40 times than leaving rem 30 sts unworked. I am also confused on dividing the front as well. Thanks again if anyone can help. 

image.jpg

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  

Look at the orange/brown diagrams at the bottom, the one on the left shows how the tie is made first, then the center body in 1 piece up to the armpits, and then the 1 piece splits into 3 separate 'towers' that you make one a time - a front, the back, and the other front, which will eventually fold together at the sides to form a top when you sew the front shoulders to the back; the slits are where the sleeves will sewn in after you have sewn each sleeve into a tube. Diagrams help you visualize what part of the pattern you are working on to understand why the directions are telling you to do something, and how pieces fit together.  

So, it looks like you are at the part where have made the tie, fastened off, reattached the yarn after skipping the first 30 stitches.  Look at the left side diagram of the pattern - you skipped 30 stitches because you are done with the tie part, and now need to work across the stitches in the center of the tie, for the body of the item.  The 30 stitches you skipped will be the tie 'sticking out' from the body on one side, the body starts on the 31st stitch.  Now you reattach the yarn and will be working across the center body which, until you get to the armpits (sleeve slits), will be in 1 piece (front, back, other front) for however many rows. 

Your row first row after the tie is going to look like 

__________xxxxxxxxxx__________  sort of, where underline is the top of the tie and the Xs are the first row of the center body part.   So the ties are 'done' and you will be working back and forth across the center until you get to the armpits, and then armpit to shoulder is in 3 pieces from the 'armpit line', 1 each for left front, center right front.  Later you'll fold the fronts over the back and stitch a shoulder seam, then make the sleeves and sew them in.

I hope that all makes sense?

[Ch 1 skip next stitch, dc in next stitch] 40 times means you work the sequence of stitches within the brackets a total of 40 times.

leaving rem 30 stitches unworked means do not work into the 30 stitches of the previous row you will turn and start row 1

--41 dc and 40 ch 1 sps is your stitch count for your foundation row

On 3/13/2022 at 4:48 PM, bgs said:

[Ch 1 skip next stitch, dc in next stitch] 40 times means you work the sequence of stitches within the brackets a total of 40 times.

leaving rem 30 stitches unworked means do not work into the 30 stitches of the previous row you will turn and start row 1

--41 dc and 40 ch 1 sps is your stitch count for your foundation row

Thank you, I understand now😀

On 3/13/2022 at 4:43 PM, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville!  

Look at the orange/brown diagrams at the bottom, the one on the left shows how the tie is made first, then the center body in 1 piece up to the armpits, and then the 1 piece splits into 3 separate 'towers' that you make one a time - a front, the back, and the other front, which will eventually fold together at the sides to form a top when you sew the front shoulders to the back; the slits are where the sleeves will sewn in after you have sewn each sleeve into a tube. Diagrams help you visualize what part of the pattern you are working on to understand why the directions are telling you to do something, and how pieces fit together.  

So, it looks like you are at the part where have made the tie, fastened off, reattached the yarn after skipping the first 30 stitches.  Look at the left side diagram of the pattern - you skipped 30 stitches because you are done with the tie part, and now need to work across the stitches in the center of the tie, for the body of the item.  The 30 stitches you skipped will be the tie 'sticking out' from the body on one side, the body starts on the 31st stitch.  Now you reattach the yarn and will be working across the center body which, until you get to the armpits (sleeve slits), will be in 1 piece (front, back, other front) for however many rows. 

Your row first row after the tie is going to look like 

__________xxxxxxxxxx__________  sort of, where underline is the top of the tie and the Xs are the first row of the center body part.   So the ties are 'done' and you will be working back and forth across the center until you get to the armpits, and then armpit to shoulder is in 3 pieces from the 'armpit line', 1 each for left front, center right front.  Later you'll fold the fronts over the back and stitch a shoulder seam, then make the sleeves and sew them in.

I hope that all makes sense?

Thanks a ton for the break down 😀, this helps a lot