Chaining problems

Stella.M

Question

Hello! 
I am new to crocheting and I have been having issues making chains. Based on my google searches this isn’t a common issue but for me sometime I will be crocheting a chain and the bar that goes in the back is in the front and it will randomly switch. I don’t know why this is happening and it is becoming very frustrating. Attached is a picture of the chain I made. Please help I am very confused. 

image.jpg

4 answers to this question

So far the only way I can remotely  mimic this is by sliding my hook out of my loop twisting the yarn and then put my hook back in.  Being new I can see this happening as it takes practice to get your fingers and hands used to the motions.   I am right handed and sometimes I attempt it left handed.  It feels so awkward  and my yarn easily slips off the hook.

6 hours ago, bgs said:

So far the only way I can remotely  mimic this is by sliding my hook out of my loop twisting the yarn and then put my hook back in.  Being new I can see this happening as it takes practice to get your fingers and hands used to the motions.   I am right handed and sometimes I attempt it left handed.  It feels so awkward  and my yarn easily slips off the hook.

Hello, 

Thank you for that, but this is happening without the hook coming out. I have no idea how it is happening but my hook hasn't come out of my loop.

The only way I could think of to get a mix of back and front facing chains (I didn't try taking the hook out) was to make a few chains, and while keeping the hook in, flip the chain over so the back bumps were facing me, and then continuing on, but that of course twisted the chain and made a strand across the chain at at 90° angle to the back bumps at the 'flip point' so that can't be it. :think   

For your issue (it can't hurt to try), perhaps for your next project try chaining slowly and watching every chain formation, maybe you'll catch yourself making a back bar in the front and figuring out what caused it.  At the very least, it's not a bad idea in general to stop and 'admire' your work every so often so you can stop and fix mistakes without ripping back too far.

In the beginning I used to chain quickly which for me led to pulling them tighter than they should be.  Now I work them nice and slow and look at each chain as its made.  I agree with Granny Square work them slow and pay close attention.  

Still playing with yarn and hook.  I am getting something similar if every so often I turn my hook to make a twist in loop on hook and then pull thru the next loop.