Help understanding instructions

Lavender333

Question

Hi there!

I purchased an afghan crochet booklet - "The Best of Mary Maxim,  Ripped Afghans.

I have tried two patterns so far and cannot get put row 2 of instructions.   I have undone my work so many times I've lost count.  Where can I get help understanding what they mean?  It's not the stich I don't get, but the instructions on where the stich should be done.  It doesn't add up.

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

Can you copy or type out row 1 & 2 of the instructions here that are giving you trouble, and what doesn't 'add up'?  What's the name of the pattern, so we can find what it looks like at Mary Maxim?

Ripples look easy, and they are easy, but you have to pay strict attention to the stitch count.  I know this (the hard way), and don't make a lot of blankets, but the last ripple I made I had to rip a lot of rows - twice - because I let my attention wander, and it took a while before I caught the error.

Ripples with an even /\/\/\/\/\/\ shape are along this formula - x stitches for an uphill slope, y stitches increased at the top, x stitches for a downhill slope, y stitches decreased in the valley.  The slopes are the same # of stitches, and the increases at the top equal the decreases at the bottom.

What tends to happen is that 'you' increase 1 stitch before or after where you are supposed to, and/or the same with the increases, and before you know it, it looks all wonky.

Also, even if you count  correctly, it doesn't look much like a ripple until you are several rows 'deep'.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Granny Square said:

I just realized you typed 'ripped afghans', and read it as rippled, I assume I guessed what you meant?  (I hope the decades old ripped jeans trend hasn't spread to blankets....  :think  )

:rofl  I stopped at ripped also and thought surely they meant ripple.