Mamatree

Mamatree

Question

9 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

Is this a free pattern on the internet somewhere so we can see more of the pattern, or what the end item looks like?  It may shed some light.

This 'x + y' isn't a standard way to express something, and I can't think of a reason where '1 sc in the next 9 stitches' wouldn't be just as clear, and mean the same thing, even if the next 9 stitches in front of you were a mix of different stitch types. 

Ah, makes sense now, It looks like you are making short rows for shaping.  Short rows (in general) make a little 'hill', example short rows sometimes happen in sweaters for bust shaping; in this case it makes sense for the curved flamingo head and neck

In general a short row=work part way across a row ("short' of the the end of the row) then turn (this makes a little 'cliff'), work a few stitches, turn, work back across the stitches you just made and down the 'cliff' and beyond for some distance.  This can be repeated for several rows. 

Row 15 has 18 stitches.

Row 16 says work in the next 6, turn  (you just started a hill, or more accurately made a 'cliff')

Row 17 is where "1 sc in the next 6 + 3 sts" happens - what this is saying is work across the 6 stitches you made in row 16, and then 'go down the hill / off the cliff' to make another 3 in the 'valley'. 

I've never seen it expressed this way though; more like 'work the 6 stitches from row 16 plus 3 stitches from row 15' sort of phrasing.  I hope this all makes sense?

Glad to help, it's not you--the pattern should have explained it better!  I've done that sort of thing before so I was able to put the puzzle together after reading the prior few rows.  :hook 

Edited by Granny Square

Oops, completely forgot that thread. 

Well, we do get the same sort of general questions over and over, and even specific questions on the same pattern multiple times (I'm thinking that llama in a kit and a Leisure Arts sunflower afghan )...