Help

paule

Question

11 answers to this question

Link to pattern

https://www.windingroadcrochet.com/tulip-crochet-dress-free-pattern/#

Dont overthink it.  Do exactly what it says.  When you finished the last row of the bodice it says to break off yarn.  

For row 1 chain the number you are supposed to for the size you are making. 

Next you make 2 dc into the last stitch of the last row of the bodice piece you made.

Next continue on by making one dc into each of stitches across that last row of bodice for the number of stitches for the size you are making.

Make 2 dc into last stitch of bodice.

Now chain the number of what ever size you are making.

So basically you make a chain, then work across piece you made, and then chain again.

The photo you show is actually after row 2 is worked.

• Confused 1

Hi and welcome to the 'ville!   this is the link directly to your dress, and the photo is from the pattern, not your project.

To this point you worked neck down to make a sort of trapezoid  /   \ shape (Imagine there's line closing the shape at the top)  The narrow end is the neck line, the wide end is the waist at the front only

Prior to the line you quoted, you finished off the last stitch of the bodice piece, and turned your work.

Now you need to start a line of stitches all the way around the waist, so you cut the yarn at the end of the bodice and tie it off, chain 21 (I'm reading the smallest size)--this will form the foundation for the next row on that side.  

After the chain, with the hook in the last chain and the chain trailing to the right (I'm assuming you are right handed), you connect this chain on your hook to the first stitch (which, because you turned, was the last stitch of the bodice row as it says), make an increase in that stitch (in other words, 2 stitches in that 1 stitch), and work across, increasing in the last stitch of the existing bodice as it says to match the other side, then chain 24 -- notice it does not exactly match the other side, I'm guessing there may be buttons or a button in the back?  It is also 1 row offset from the chain on the other side - this is not unusual for this  type of construction.  So  when you finish it will look like the above photo, the bodice front and 2 'apron string' looking things hanging off the bodice, 1 on each side - this will be the first  row of the skirt.   ....and I see BGs has just said the same thing as I'm typing this.

edited, and my apologies for misreading, see below.

Edited by Granny Square

22 minutes ago, bgs said:

Link to pattern

https://www.windingroadcrochet.com/tulip-crochet-dress-free-pattern/#

Dont overthink it.  Do exactly what it says.  When you finished the last row of the bodice it says to break off yarn.  

For row 1 chain the number you are supposed to for the size you are making. 

Next you make 2 dc into the last stitch of the last row of the bodice piece you made.

Next continue on by making one dc into each of stitches across that last row of bodice for the number of stitches for the size you are making.

Make 2 dc into last stitch of bodice.

Now chain the number of what ever size you are making.

So basically you make a chain, then work across piece you made, and then chain again.

The photo you show is actually after row 2 is worked.

How do ypu

Thank you so much but I’m not seeing it how do u connect the chain… where do I hook the yarn too to start the chain? Is there possibly a drawing anyone can make so I see, I feel so ignorant.

:eek Bleep, sorry.  What I initially described is part of one way to do this, (cutting the yarn), but is not what your pattern said--I've edited my original post.  It's accurate just ignoring what I crossed off.  I am really sorry for the confusion.

A note of explanation to explain why my brain went awry - One way to do this has the rows that extend from the center piece offset by 1 row on each side (like your pattern), the other has them on the same level by cutting the yarn, turning the fabric, and chaining.  Usually it doesn't much matter if one side is 'off' one row, and your pattern has the offset which is not a bad thing and is easier, and saves an end to weave in.

If you already cut the yarn and tied off, you can still follow what it says - turn the bodice and make a chain as it says and with the chain hanging off your hook, connect it to the first stitch stitch and work across the body of the piece (as it says) and at the end of the row make a chain (as it says), and turn and work across both your new chain, the bodice, and the first chain that was originally 'hanging off'.  You will have a sort of 'T' shape, where the chain extensions are the cross of the T (from the point of view of how you are working it, the bodice is upside down forming the vertical line of the T).  This makes both sides of the skirt on the same line, not 1 side offset from the other. 

The photo that you included has the bodice at the top, but it is upside down from how it will look as you are working on it--your are working  bodice down, so while working on it it the bodice will be at the bottom.

• Thanks 1

Just prior to this row the pattern does say

Fasten off at the end of your last bodice row. Turn your work.

Put a stitch marker into the very last stitch you made in the bodice part.  Cut yarn, finish off and turn piece.

Crochet your chain, yarn over and stick your hook into stitch where your place marker is and complete one dc.  Make a second dc in same place.

Continue working dc's in your last row of bodice (making 2 dc in last stitch)

Chain

7 hours ago, bgs said:

Place stitch marker in last stitch (arrow in top sketch)  Turn piece. 

Second sketch

Chain (red line)  2dc at black arrow.  Work across. Chain (purple line)Screenshot_20220310-203411.thumb.png.644a258345a21b620c602891888836d5.png

Thank you so much the light finally came on, I can now keep going on this dress, thanks for the sketch it helped a lot!!!!

Thanks Bgs, I didn't re-check the pattern when I revisited this yesterday, my bad.

Paule, I hope Bgs' sketches help, this is a simple thing but I remember the very first time I encountered this technique eons ago I was a bit :think? at the first read-thru, until I just followed what it said and it became clear what was going on  :idea