Is there anyway to fix this?

DJ3

Question

Hello,

i am a newly self taught crocheter and recently have been trying to follow a you tube site watching and following a crocheted sweater for 3-4 year old girls. I wanted to make this pretty little pattern for my 2 year old granddaughter so it actually would be a little large. About halfway through the yoke I discovered I was three stitches short but thought I could figure out how to adjust it when I got to the sleeve formation. However, I have not been able to determine the number of stitches I need. The pattern calls for creating three V stitches with a double v in the fourth then skip 7 etc. Does that make sense or is there additional info needed? 

Thanks for any help. 

Denise

IMG_4012.JPG

4 answers to this question

In my opinion there is no good way to fix this so that it will look ok.  You need to pull it apart and start over.  When your row count is off find the problem and address it then as continuing on compounds the problem.  

Welcome to the 'ville!

Can you fix this without doing at least some ripping? No.  Seriously.  The answer to "can I fix a mistake without (at least some) ripping?" is pretty much always no.

For such a tiny intended wearer, 3 stiches is kind of 'a lot'.  The yoke might end up 'sitting funny' since it is forming a cone that is smaller and steeper than it is supposed to be.  Did the video also give you a written version of the pattern that told you how many stitches you  should have at the end of each round of the yoke?  Oops, I just re-read that you don't know how many stitches you should have, so I assume the answer is no...but then how did you know you were 3 stitches short at one point?

If you can figure out the last round where the stitch count was correct, rip back to that point....and I see as I was typing, Bgs has replied and finished my sentence for me.  I'd also add a recommendation to find a not-video pattern, and yes I'm old school, but print it out. 

I know what I'm doing (mostly) / but I sometimes make notes,/ or underline a spot maybe /, or divide up a series of convoluted instructions / with slash marks like I just did with this sentence, to make the steps more visible and distinct to keep me from getting lost in a blur of words..

Edited by Granny Square
edited for clarity
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for responding to my question. Yes there is a written pattern on etsy but I was being lazy and trying to just follow the video🙄😒.

Learned the hard way but I did learn how to do the V and the fan stitch! 

Yay, glad you learned some new stitches!  I hope 'the second time is the charm' for your project :hook 

Re: videos, I think short videos are great for small things, like a new-to-you technique or or complex stitch, etc.  But not so much for a whole pattern.

By the way, there are about eleventy different variations of V stitches out there, and I'm guessing the 'fan' stitch is a type of shell stitch (exaggerating only a little, half of my crochet stitch dictionary is a chapter on shell and V stitch variations).  Crochet stitch names, beyond the basic individual stitches (chain, SC, DC and so on), are not consistent.  One name can cover 1 or more different stitches, and 1 stitch can have several names.  A well written pattern should have a 'stitch definition' section, or define a special stitch within the pattern and can name it whatever they want (like do x, do y, do z - Acme stitch made).