Pattern spreads when I make front post double or triple crochet, how to fix?

writerbethw

Question

Hi there--

I am working on a sweater pattern that alternates rows of single or double crochet with rows that have alternating dc and front post triple crochet. It is a free pattern I found on Ravelry. Endless textured cardigan It is a cute design. The pattern seems OK, but it isn't written in a standard way, and it isn't as complete as usual, but I've figured it out so far.

My problem is that the rows with the FPTC end up wider than the "normal" rows, making my work ripple badly. The work looks right other than this, so I'm pretty confident I am doing the pattern correctly. 

I tried crocheting tighter on those rows, which didn't work at all. I tried switching to a smaller hook (3 sizes smaller) when I get to the FPTC row. This improved the work--somewhat less rippling and spread--but still not fixed enough that blocking could solve it. Any suggestions?

4 answers to this question

I think this is going to be the nature of the beast.  A bit of width is added to each spot that anchors a post stitch, so post stitches every other row is bound to have that effect.  I can't think of any time I've worked post stitches that haven't been in narrow columns (ridges or cables), or all post stitches (basket weave), so any horizontal widening is spread out and not focused on every other row.  

The only thing that I can think of, that works in my head and may not in real life, is instead of making a post stitch around a stitch as usual, you make it through the stitch, picking 1 or 2 loops in the front of the stitch of the post you are supposed to work around, just under the top of that stitch.  This positions the post stich in nearly the same spot horizontally, but (should not) add to the width because it is not around the stitch, but in front.  I'm not sure if this would adversely affect the integrity of the fabric, and the stitch may not 'stick out' as much--I'd try it on a swatch first.

I’m new here but I wonder if by wider do you mean the height if the stitch row?  If so, then I am wondering if the pattern is written in American crochet or UK crochet terms.  In UK a treble stitch is actually a Double crochet.  So if it is written in UK terms (it might be called English terms, I’m not sure) then the stitch names vary from American.

Good point since this is a Canadian pattern (price is in CAD).  I'm not sure which crochet terms they use, but I don't think that is the issue because the coat is worked in rows parallel to the floor, so taller or shorter stitches would not affect the coat's width--in other words the width is distorted by a post stitch made around another stitch, the height of the post stitch should not change the extra width caused by the 'around-ness' attribute.

Plus the OP mentioned SC, so it's either written in US terms or she 'translated it' if the pattern is in UK terms.