Pls help me with swan pattern

swanlover

Question

Hi y'all 👋 🙂 I'm working on this gorgeous swan pattern https://littlegreen.typepad.com/files/simple-swan.pdf and I've reached the point shown in picture B (Wings). I have no idea how to start row 2 so it would end up looking like picture F. This is my first crochet project without a video tutorial/pics of every step so I'm a bit clueless 😂

5 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville!  The pattern doesn't have a video, but it has a lot of in-process photos.

I have never seen an I-cord (skinny cord worked in the round, in this case worked over 4 stitches) used as a 'base' for more stitches before.  It makes sense for the neck over 8 stitches that stands alone.  I can think of another way to do this (that is a little less work but probably not less confusing), but  perhaps the stiff structure of the cord is important here.

You can't work into the tops of stitches 'as usual', you have to work around the 'bodies' of stitches. 

The wording is confusing, it is talking about 4 rows of stitches but it is really 30 rows but 4 columns of stitches that you made, but you will be treating a column of stitches as a base row to work your stitches around.  I hope this is not clear as mud?

There are 4 wing pieces, 2 top wings and 2 under-wings on each side (the second 'under' set to give them some depth and support probably)

This is an interesting pattern, and it is written clearly (we usually get a lot of questions on poorly written patterns here).  I think this pattern is a tiny bit past "for those with a knowledge of basic crochet" and more as "intermediate, for those with some experience encountering unusual construction".  I'm no expert, I've just been crocheting for decades and have run into a lot of odd things!  :hook 

It might make more sense looking at the symbol charts because it shows stitch placement.

c is the crochet diagram for row 1.

d is the crochet diagram for row 2.

e is what it looks like until you turn it over (fold the top wing down over the bottom wing) and work in ends