Arm chair cover

Paulett

Question

I do not understand this:

Row4: *Ch4,dcinfirst space of Rnd 3, repeat from * until you have 12 lps. Do not use last 4 lps, turn.
Rows 5, 6, 7: * Ch 4, sc in each lp, repeat from * to end of row,
turn.

Row 8: Inc Row: Ch 4, sc in
first lp, ch 4, sc in same lp (inc). Finish row with 4 ch plus 1 sc in every lp. Inc in last lp. Ch 4, sc, ch 4,scallin12th lp–14lps,turn. Ch 4, sc in each lp – 14 times.
Repeat Row 8 for total of 36 rows. If the arm is larger, add a few more rows. Fasten off yar

Edited by Paulett
Added more

10 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  My comments in bold.  I make a lot of lace doilies and this wording and the elements described here are not unusual.  

Row4: *Ch4, dc in first space of Rnd 3, repeat from * until you have 12 lps. Do not use last 4 lps, turn.  I am guessing rnd 3 has some 'chain spaces', which I'm interpreting as the 'space'.  The chain 4, DC, repeat forms a loop shape (lp), or open space--the DCs are the legs of the loop, and the chain is the span between.  Normally when you stitch 'in' a chain space, you chain around it, in other words stick your hook under the chain, yarn over and finish the stitch.  Yes, this lets the stitch slide around but don't worry about it (it may come in handy when you block the piece)

Rows 5, 6, 7: * Ch 4, sc in each lp, repeat from * to end of row, turn.  This will make a scalloped row of chains, ∩∩∩ sort of.

Row 8: Inc Row: Ch 4, sc in first lp, ch 4, sc in same lp (inc)  2 loops in 1 space ∩∩ ,  creates an increase. Finish row with 4 ch plus 1 sc in every lp. Inc in last lp. Ch 4, sc, ch 4,sc all in12th lp–14lps,turn. This makes the end of the row match the beginning, which is very common.  Everything up to this point sounds 'reasonable'.  Except the turn, maybe, see below

Ch 4, sc in each lp – 14 times  This is odd based on the following instruction, is it row 9?  

Repeat Row 8 for total of 36 rows. If the arm is larger, add a few more rows. Fasten off yarn   I wonder if it meant to repeat rows 8 and 9?  What  seems plausible based on the pattern photo?

Is this a free pattern that you can link to, or at least a photo of the finished item?  As I said above, sometimes it helps to see the result of what the pattern is trying to say, a picture really is worth 1000 words.  We've been talking rows up until now and I was not expecting a circle to be a factor-- most arm chair cover patterns I've seen (vintage ones mostly) are just rectangles (on the order of what you see on this page)

8 hours ago, Paulett said:

Thank you, you have made it clearer but this stumps me after I have 12 loops it says don’t use the last 4 loops is that because that is the bottom of the circle 

Yes its the bottom of the round piece tht goes on front of chair arm.  Looks like you were working in rounds since row 4 says to work in rnd 3.  You leave those 4 loops unworked and turn your work. Now you are going to work back and forth in rows.

Rows 5, 6, 7: * Ch 4, sc in each lp, repeat from * to end of row,
turn.

so

Row 5  * Ch 4, sc in each lp, ( this means sc into each loop that you made in row 4

Row 6. * Ch 4, sc in each lp, ( this means sc into each loop that you made in row 5

Row 8: Inc Row: Ch 4, sc in
first lp, ch 4, sc in same lp (inc). Finish row with 4 ch plus 1 sc in every lp. Inc in last lp. Ch 4, sc, ch 4,scallin12th lp–14lps,turn. Ch 4, sc in each lp – 14 times.

Its telling you that you will be making increases on row 8.  There is one increase at the beginning of your row and another at the end of the row.

ch 4, sc, ch 4 , sc all in first loop

ch 4, sc in the next loop

Keep doing ch 4, sc in the next loop until you reach your last loop.

In your last loop ch 4, sc, ch 4, sc all in last loop which should be your 12th loop of row 7

Its written a little weird here but this is what I think is going on -14lps,turn is telling you that you have 14 loops in row 8 and turn your work for working row 9.

This is row 9 thru row 36

ch 4, sc in each lp – 14 times.

yes, as i was looking at this yesterday I realized what they were saying to do, but with you confirming this I now can finish this armchair cover, thank you for helping me.  I am a self taught crotchet person, so I  am learning as I go.