Trouble interpreting instructions at ends.

Kipepeo

Question

I am new here and just introduced myself in that thread. I'm trying to follow an afghan pattern and I'm having trouble at row ends. I've started this project 3 times and ripped it out a couple. After chain row and foundation of double crochet it's then a row of shell stitches. Here's what it says at the end of the first shell row after the repeating section: "*repeating shells* to last 4 sts, Shell in next dc, dc in last st, turn. (34 shells)"

Trouble is after repeating there are already 34 shells, so if I shell in next dc there would be 35. One of my attempts I did this and the edge is just off not to mention with 2 shells right next to each other it's crowded. 

Then the next row starts off "Ch 1, sc in same dc, working around previous row, LDC in next dc of foundation row". I'm not sure what is the "same dc" and which dc is the next one in the foundation row. 

I came here because I'm hopeful you all will help me so I can actually do this project!

Thank you!

20220206_134222.jpg

9 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville!

At the point you are now at, if I am understanding you correctly, you already have 34 shells, and there are 4 DCs ahead of you (counting the initial turning chain formed by the skipped chains before making the very first DC of row 1.  What would work as a 'fudge' at this point  is Skip 3 DC and make a DC in the top of the turning chain, this conforms to what I believe the pattern meant, or at least gets you to where you should end up.  However....

....... I may be not seeing this right, but it looks like there are 5 skipped stitches between your last shell and the one to it's right, and if I'm understanding the pattern there should be 4, correct?  If this were my project I'd rip the last-made shell, re-make it 1 stitch to the right, and then skip 4 and DC in the last stitch - this will look better than a span of 5 between shells, and a span of 3 between the last shell and the ending DC, and conforms to the pattern, and is a pretty painless amount of ripping.

If its a pattern on the internet please share the link. Not sure Granny Square's suggestion is going to work in this case.   What concerns me is 

Then the next row starts off "Ch 1, sc in same dc, working around previous row, LDC in next dc of foundation row". 

If you fudged the stitch placement instructions for the previous row this one might not work out.  

Wow, great, fast feedback. 

These instructions are copyrighted so I can't take a photo. But here's the gist...

Chain 206

Then dc for 204 (I counted and have 204).

Then this shell row which is "ch 3 (counts as first dc), skip next dc, *Shell in next dc, skip next 5 dc; rep from * to last 4 sts, Shell in next dc, dc in last st, turn (34 shells)". 

I verified there are 5 sts between each shell and right now there are 34 shells. Did I mess up at the beginning? I ch 3, skipped a dc and shell in the next dc.

20220206_164949.jpg

I admit I overlooked the instruction for the row beyond, and the OP's second question, my bad.  But I think a double check of the shell placements (all of them) into the foundation row is warranted, as well as the DC count of the foundation row.  

To Kipepeo, a picture is worth 1000 words and I suggest you look for a video to help visualize a long double crochet, it's not just a longer stitch, it's made over the fabric - here is one video   

edited, posted at the same time as Kipepeo's response - if your  count is right...I'm out of ideas.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

Checking back in. I would like to thank you for helping me. 🙂 The info you gave me helped me to think through what the instructions were saying. I started again and am taking great care at row ends and the edges are coming out straight. I just did not understand the instructions. They could be written better.