Afghan-Should I Rip it Out

MelB

Question

Good Evening:  I am crocheting an afghan and it is a sampler.  I have several rows where the tension is off due to changing stitches.  I could rip those out and go up a size in the hook.  Or, which brings me to my question, can you add a couple stitches on the ends of those rows and from here on out use the next size hook.  If this is an option how do I do that.  I have been crocheting along time and would consider myself an intermediate level.  I am a perfectionist and can do a little fudging, but I don't want it to look shabby.  The first section of the afghan is 10 rows of Treble's and then it switches to different variation of double's: shells, intermittent rows of dc's, v-stitches, and grannie's. 
I look forward to hearing from you, Thank You.

2 answers to this question

Hi MelB, welcome to the 'ville!  The only times (I can think of) where I have fixed an error (without ripping) after having worked beyond it is if I find the error in the following row and can come up with something that won't be obvious, and that I can live with.  A little fudging, like you said.

But I have ripped back miles and miles of yarn (over many decades of crocheting ) after finding errors further down, as in your situation.  If I see an error that bothers me, it's getting ripped.

In your case, do you think you can 'add a couple of stitches' for presumably a lot of rows that are in a variety of different stitch patterns, and have it not look like an obvious patch (blending in with the stitch pattern, and with adjacent rows?)  You'd have to be careful to be sure to work in the same direction as the row you are adding to, or it's going to be a glaring bit of oddness (well, to me if it were my project).  You can do such a thing, by adding stitches using foundation stitches at either end.  Lots more ends to weave.

Are the rows all the same color?  I'm thinking it might be less obvious to add to the sides if colors are changing to distract the eye a little.